Author Topic: what uniform is this  (Read 935 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
what uniform is this
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:44 BST (UK) »
I know the pictures not the best, on the back of the photo "Mississippi" was written what it means I have no idea.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: what uniform is this
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
sharon,sorry but all i can tell you is that the rifle is a martini henry, first type,and the men are wearing the british snake clasp belt,you need salty on this one,he will tell you when straw hats were phased out,the rifle appeared around 1867,its got a short lever the later model had a longer lever,the navys not my field,sorry i couldnt help ,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mack,
That's very interesting about the rifle, so I was right that they were sailors that's good.
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi I cannot give you a date, sorry.

However, definitely Royal Navy, pre 1900 and probably circa 1880 ish. Possibly even earlier.

If you look behind the two sailors in your picture, you can see the ratlines to their right,  the sailors used them to climb the masts. Behind them a wooden mast and the left hand of the two as you look at it, has his foot on a great wooden block.
Around  1900 most Naval ships were engine powered, although obviously there were a few sail ships employed.

Salty

I am old, but even so, well before my time
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg