Author Topic: Samuel Cross ....my 3rd Great Grandfather  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Maela

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Cross ....my 3rd Great Grandfather
« on: Saturday 29 March 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have traced Samuel Cross he initially came from Ireland to Quebec. I found him through his son Robert's baptism. Samuel & Elizabeth Cross had a son Robert October 31 baptized  Novermber 1818 in Quebec.  Most interesting was Samuel was a "private soldier in his majesty's 68th regiment of foot.  I'm not sure but I think they came to Kingston, Ontario. How can I find  if this is true.  Looking forward to any ideas.  Thanks

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Cross ....my 3rd Great Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 March 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
there is a  Samuel CROSS
Year of birth:1793
Place of birth:Epsom, Surrey
Regiment:68th Foot   served 1813-1827     discharged in Kingston,Canada...but he enlisted in Suffolk?

what is your source of info that he came from Ireland?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 March 14 04:32 BST (UK) »
there is also a

Name:Samuel CROSS
Year of birth:1796
Place of birth:Warpole, Halesworth, Suffolk
Regiment:68th Foot

he enlisted 1812-  served till 1838    discharged in Waterford,,,,served in North America
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline Maela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 March 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
I presumed Samuel Cross came from Ireland because his son Robert Cross had always answered
Irish on any census forms. Robert Cross shows up in Picton,Ontario in 1851. His death certificate said he was born in Quebec 1818, but that he was Irish?  I checked Quebec records on ancestry.ca and found his birth. Robert Cross is laid to rest in a pioneer cemetery, Foster Cemetery in Prince Edward County. On his headstone it reads " I close my eyes no more to rise on the banks of the sweet dundee"   Do you think I might be going the wrong direction for Samuel?

I also have found a Samuel Cross under Upper Canada Land Petitions data base. This shows Samuel
Cross in Kingston 1829 and 1834. I still have to order the microfilm C-6883, RG 5 A1 Land Petitions in Upper Canada Sundries to see what information it has.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 March 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
There's a field on Canadian censuses that often refers to the family origin rather than birthplace of parents.  I have someone who gave hers consistently as "Dutch", which seemed to line up with her family name - but her family turned out to have come to Canada via the US and although they were Dutch originally - that was back in the early 1700s!

The man born Epsom and discharged in 1827 Kingston, Ontario seems likely to be the man petitioning for land in Kingston a couple of years later. Regimental Birth indexes show two other children surnamed Cross with father in the 68th (note index does not specify parents so theoretically these could be children of either of the Samuels).  Originals of these records can be ordered from the GRO in the UK as "overseas births".

Robert b. Quebec 1818 vol 144 page 169
Anne J b. Quebec 1823, vol 145 page 157
John b. Quebec 1827 vol 146 page 130
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
It is also quite possible that Samuel served in Ireland before he served in Canada,,,unfortunately the service records only state the total years served abroad,,but not the actual period. It may be possible to find where the regiment was stationed,,and see if this ties up with the year of birth for Robert.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 March 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
timeline for 68th foot

1813-28 - Ireland, Ionian Islands during Greek War of Independence, Canada

1829 - England

so it is feasible that Samuel served in Ireland,,,married,,had a child,,Robert,,,then went on to Canada.

http://www.britisharmedforces.org/li_pages/regiments/dli/durham_68thfoottl.htm

Offline Maela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
There's a field on Canadian censuses that often refers to the family origin rather than birthplace of parents.  I have someone who gave hers consistently as "Dutch", which seemed to line up with her family name - but her family turned out to have come to Canada via the US and although they were Dutch originally - that was back in the early 1700s!

The man born Epsom and discharged in 1827 Kingston, Ontario seems likely to be the man petitioning for land in Kingston a couple of years later. Regimental Birth indexes show two other children surnamed Cross with father in the 68th (note index does not specify parents so theoretically these could be children of either of the Samuels).  Originals of these records can be ordered from the GRO in the UK as "overseas births".

Robert b. Quebec 1818 vol 144 page 169
Anne J b. Quebec 1823, vol 145 page 157
John b. Quebec 1827 vol 146 page 130

Well, you have shown me a new journey to take. On my way to the library this morning researching Samuel Cross and his children.  Thanks

Offline Maela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 March 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
timeline for 68th foot

1813-28 - Ireland, Ionian Islands during Greek War of Independence, Canada

1829 - England

so it is feasible that Samuel served in Ireland,,,married,,had a child,,Robert,,,then went on to Canada.

http://www.britisharmedforces.org/li_pages/regiments/dli/durham_68thfoottl.htm

Thanks for this link to follow, on my way to the library this morning more research to do.