Author Topic: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning  (Read 11565 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 October 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
I think perhaps your Anastatia Fanning may be a different person to Ann Fanning who married Thomas Moran in Wicklow in 1820. I know that her headstone in America states she was from Pallace in Wexford. When I tried to research the location of Pallace I found that in the early 1800s there were 2 places of that name in Wexford. One near New Ross and one between Gorey and Coolgreaney, nearer the Wicklow border. The Gorey one is spelt as Pallas in later records, but seems to have been known as Pallace until the mid 1800s.
So while I don't know which one Thomas Moran's wife came from, I did find that there were Fannings living in Pallas /Pallace in the late 1700s and early 1800s, and there seemed to be common first names in that branch and the Fannings that appear in Wicklow in 1820s. my research leads me to think that Ann Fanning came from the Gorey area location. Ann, when she married, was living in a townland called Sleanaglough (now known as Slanelough), and the Fanning family that lived there consisted of William Fanning, and Robert, Bryan, and Michael, who I think may have been William's 3 sons, but no records to confirm. Ann may have been William's daughter but I can't be sure.
Usually at the time a couple called their first 2 children after the father's parents, and the next two after the mother's parents. The first 2 children of Thomas Moran and Ann Fanning were called James and Mary after his parents, and the next boy William. There was not a second daughter, but the couple had a  number of other sons and the name Martin does not appear.
Anastatia was an unusual name for the time, and I have not come across any cases where it was shortened to Ann, I know in more modern times it is shortened to Statia.
So while it is possible your Anastatia could be Ann Fanning who married Thomas Moran, at the moment I can't see anything that would confirm it.

Offline Meep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: place names - Palace/Pallis, Corcannon, and name Fanning
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 October 16 00:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret.  Please keep me posted if you find out anything more about Thomas Moran and Ann Fanning.