Author Topic: J-M241 / J2b2 in England  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
J-M241 / J2b2 in England
« on: Monday 31 March 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

A number of my relatives have been kind enough to have DNA tests carried out for me - with some interesting results.

I wanted to get Y-DNA or mtDNA results for as many of my grandparents and great grandparents as possible. In order to get info for my maternal Welsh grandfather, I went to his brother's son.

The results came back: J-M241 / J2b2

I have traced this male line back to William Hampton who, according to the census, was born around 1813 in Worcester (or possibly in Worcestershire). Worcester is a town in central England and Hampton is a very English name, but J-M241 / J2b2 is rare in England.

How did this line get here? I don't know. Some have suggested Roman soldiers or other random travellers.

Is there anyone else out there with English J-M241 / J2b2 ancestry? I'd love to make contact.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: J-M241 / J2b2 in England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Make sure you get your relative to join the haplogroup J2 project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/J2-M172/

For future reference there is a list of haplogroup projects in the ISOGG Wiki:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroup_projects

There is some information in Eupedia about the various haplogroups though the accuracy of the information is not guaranteed:

http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello DevonCruwys and thank you :)

Yes, we have joined the J2 project and some others that were relevant.
I did have a quick look through the Eupedia article and it is fascinating but I was wondering about how accurate it might be.

Since this Haplogroup is so rare in the UK, I think that it would be good to have a database of British J2 families :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
If it's of any interest I have a few J2s in my Devon DNA Project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/devon/default.aspx?section=yresults

Haplogroups aren't usually confined to country borders which is why the results are normally collated in international haplogroup projects.

There might be further insights when the Impact of the Diasporas project starts to publish its results:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/projects/impact-of-diasporas/archive-pages/Roots

The Eupedia website probably needs to be used with caution. They don't always provide sources for their data, but it's very difficult finding data on the frequencies of the various haplogroups in different countries and at least it gives you a rough idea.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 May 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
... I have a few J2s in my Devon DNA Project ...
Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. :)
It's interesting that you have a cluster of J2s in Devon.
It will become increasingly interesting to see the results as more people test.

Offline Vlad Lodzinski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
So I'm in this grouping, but from my Dad's side, not my Mum's (who does have English ancestors).

However, doing my own research is seemed J2B2 (which is was defined as, before being regrouped into J-M241) was the group associated with the original Macedonian 4th Roman Legion - with clusters occurring where that legion had its bases.

Could that be the answer you're looking for - it seems to make the most sense, its that or maybe Jewish emigres somewhere back in time

Offline Vlad Lodzinski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Make sure you get your relative to join the haplogroup J2 project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/J2-M172/

For future reference there is a list of haplogroup projects in the ISOGG Wiki:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroup_projects

There is some information in Eupedia about the various haplogroups though the accuracy of the information is not guaranteed:

http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/

I don't seem to be allowed to join this group, even though I've been tested (through 23andme)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 December 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Vlad

The project is a FamilyTree one - have you transferred your DNA Raw data from 23&me across to FTDNA ?

Kim

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 04:35 BST (UK) »
... doing my own research is seemed J2B2 ... was the group associated with the original Macedonian 4th Roman Legion - with clusters occurring where that legion had its bases.

Could that be the answer you're looking for - it seems to make the most sense, its that or maybe Jewish emigres somewhere back in time

Hello Vlad. :)

Thank you for your thoughts and sorry not to have responded earlier. I only just found your posts.

I have been told, before, that this haplogroup might relate to Roman soldiers who came to Britain from the Balkans. This would certainly be very interesting, but I don't know how it could be proved.

Jewish emigres? Another interesting possibility. But, again, difficult to prove one way or the other.

There must be others with this DNA who are related to my Hamptons. DNA testing is still in its early stages. Hopefully, I shall discover closer connections in time.

Meanwhile, it's really good to 'meet' you, Vlad. Presumably we are very distant cousins :) How exciting!