Author Topic: J-M241 / J2b2 in England  (Read 9691 times)

Offline Vlach

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J-M241 / J2b2 in England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 June 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
Here is a way to prove your Roman Legioner's roots. Our family name Tsioungos and similar means "5" in Latin and has a clear meaning of Fifth Legion of Roman Empire, or "Macedonika Legion", because it was based at the North of Greece, Macedonia.  Our family belongs to a Balkan's group of Roman Veterans - Vlach - Roman speaking minority in Greece, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Romania, Albania and other neighboring countries. Read a story of Vlach, check DNA study of this group and you should find a good match, if your ancestors came with Roman Legions. For example, our Y-DNA, J2b2-CTS3617 (downstream of Z628). Look for J2b2 group at FamilitreeDNA.com Project on line and find your closest match. You'll see people from regions of ex-Roman Empire. 

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Vlach.  :)

Thank you for that. 
I'll have a look and see what I can sort out :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline JESTINGS

• RootsChat Extra
  • JestingsFamily@outlook.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
I agree...would someone start a board for J-M241 in England?
Hello. I have been trying to bust through my 4thGGF's brick wall for over 20 years! Joseph Jestings married in Nova Scotia in 1806. All census records and children's death and marriage records state Joseph's origin of birth as simply "England". Family rumor has it that generations ago the name was changed from something like "Justin". There are a small number of Justins in Sherborne, Dorset, England and a few close surrounding areas but no obvious connections seem to exist and I have found no one searching the name or ANY Jestings at all in England, Canada or the U.S. by the name of Jestings except the descendants that branch directly from my Joseph.

I have now discovered from testing my brother and father that our Y haplogroup/subclade is J-M241. Nothing comes up as a match. I have considered there may be illegitimacy, adoption, straight up name change for unknown reasons...you name it. Where would you turn next if it was your paternal line? My dream is to visit his birth village in "England". Thanks so much, April J-W
JESTINGS

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
 I was born and bred in the north of England and have never heard the surname before. This could possibly be due to the fact that historically Northern England tends to contain more Viking influenced names due to the fact that that part of England was ruled by Vikings for several centuries - and southern England had their own ancient tribal languages plus they had more Norman (French) influences.

However, I do know that "ing" at the end of a word usually means a tract of land and would suggest your surname derived from a farm owned by the "Jest" family.  The "s" at the end of the surname could either be plural for more than one tract of land = ings - or in some areas of Britain an "s" at the end of a surname could mean "son of" =  Wilkinson or Wilkins.

I was interested to see an online book describing the migration to Nova Scotia and presumably your early ancestors could have been fishermen; or farmhands,; forest workers or miners.  If your migrant ancestor fished for a living it would suggest to me that he would have been born and bred near a river or the sea.

A National Archive search only brings up two "Jestings", one having the "Justin" alternative.

At one time, spelling was a bit haphazard and if you search for "Jestings" on www.familysearch.org
Then scroll down and click on the marriage years during the 1700s period, there are about 340 results for the same Jestings, or similar, surname in England.  Searching for baptisms over the same period brings over 2000 similar names but very different spelling.

If you know your family followed a naming pattern and the given name you're searching for isn't on the family history website, it might be advantageous to contact the area archives and/or the local family history centre to see if they hold any unpublished church records.  There are a couple of reasons for this:-When the Mormans (Church of Latter Day Saints) visited churches in the 1980s to film the books not all churches gave permission and some books were in private hands and eventually donated to the archives..
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JESTINGS

• RootsChat Extra
  • JestingsFamily@outlook.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
Rena,
Thank you for your reply and for putting thought and time into it. That is an interesting fact that I hadn't known regarding "ing", which is why message boards are often so useful. My Joseph (b.1776-77) had a good amount of offspring, one being a shoemaker. I haven't ever found anything on Joseph's original profession. He was only listed as a farmer, presumably because he was given a land grant in Nova Scotia by the crown. I have run across two other shoemakers related to the surname, one being a William Jestings of Sherborne b. 1717 and a Henry Cross who married an Elizabeth Jestings and would have been an uncle to some of the male Jestings in the town (IF) it wasn't a misspelling of the name. Many IFs of course. No one in Dorset or Somerset can come up with anything for me so I am scrambling for new ideas. I will investigate these new tidbits. Thanks so much!
April
JESTINGS

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
ALJBW

Have you tested at FTDNA or have any of your tests been transferred there?

If you have an account with FTDNA you would be able to join the "England E I J Project"  the Admin is English and runs the Project from England.

Primarily a Y Project but not exclusively so, it is a very active group and I am sure will be able to help you.

Kim

(Edit) You may find it as "England GB Groups"

Offline Gregory Cossey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 December 22 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I have just come back with a prediction of J2b2a M241 on my Y-DNA.  My paternal surname Cossey is in and around Norfolk and Suffolk.  To date I have traced to 1776.

Offline NotJLo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hello 
My MtDNA is J2b2-m241. Our English and Scottish heritage goes back centuries both mother and father. I have only read about the Y-DNA online, but I think it would be similar to MtDNA (?) Maybe historically Roman, but currently we look more SW German to Irish, probably Celtic. I am trying to get some clarification after years but never has this gene testing been conclusive. Our heritage going back at least a Millennium is English and Southern Scottish, Northern Irish.
Nice to meet you all!