Author Topic: St. Woolos Cemetery -Search for Grandparents  (Read 7212 times)

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St. Woolos Cemetery -Search for Grandparents
« on: Monday 31 March 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone could help me out in finding grandparents graves. Would like to find them before I make big trip abroad. Grandfather Charles Fredrick Gohr (Carl Friedreich Gohr. Birth yr. 1862 - Death 1942. Grandmother Mary Ann (carmody-Anderson)Gohr. Birth yr. 1864 - Death 1914. Uncle Charles Frederck Gohr Birth yr, 1890 - Death 31 March 1901. My father John Francis Gohr, born April 1904, was the only one that I know of that came to the USA. Maybe I could contact someone in office of cemetery. any info is very helpful. Thank you All
                                              Kathy
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: St. Woolos Cemetery -Search for Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Uncle Charles Frederck Gohr Birth yr, 1890 - Death 31 March 1901

He died in 1904 - not 1901

Deaths June qtr 1904 
Charles F Gohr aged 14  Newport Monmouthshire    11a   121

Just to help narrow any search - Mary died in the December qtr 1914 and Charles Frederick snr also in the December qtr of 1942
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, It showed 1901
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy.  I live fairly close to St Woolos Church, and will be willing to take photos for you.

Are you in UK or elsewhere?

Have you asked the church if they have any mapping of the churchyard?  It will be a big help if you can get an idea of the location.  You can contact them: Stow Hill Newport NP20 4EA‎. Tel: 01633 212077.

If you can get any info get back to me and I will see what I can do for you, but if you are not in UK let me know and I can phone to ask for you.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
I think the church and cemetery are different. It would be possible to do a search at the churchyard, but the cemetery  at Risca Road/Bassaleg Road  is enormous. 

You can contact the St Woolos Cemetery Admin Office on this number:  -  01633 263864, and I spoke to a lovely lady called Christine who checked the computer and found 4 people listed as GOHR.

The office is open 8:30 - 1:00 and 2:00 - 4:30.  There is a £10 search fee which can be paid over the phone.

Let me know your thoughts........
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
I'm in awe right now. I have been doing this for a long time. I live in Melbourne, Florida. Do you think it's best that I call the office? I'm so excited. I cannot thank you enough. Kathy
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
If you can stand the fee then do call the office.
Ask for Christine.
PM me the details as supplied and I will try and get some photos for you by the week end.
Good luck.   :D

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Once again, many thanks
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
My pleasure.
You will need to add some numbers to call UK but I am sorry, I don't know what they are!!