Author Topic: St. Woolos Cemetery -Search for Grandparents  (Read 7210 times)

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Woolos Cemetery -Search for Grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Looked up added numbers, line is busy. I'll keep trying and let you know.
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
So frustrating for you!
 >:(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
How can I thank you. You have fullfilled a dream of mine. I just finished talking with Christine. She was super! Charles Sr. Mary Anne and Charles Jr. are buried in RC-D 35 block 18. Now I know for sure they were catholic. That was always questionable for me. Sarha Gohr, my grandfathers first wife is buried CON-D 213 block 22. I think Christine said there were 5 others buried there. Sir name Pearson and Telling. I'm shaking with joy.
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
I am very happy you are so pleased.

It is raining pouring just now, but I will try to slip in there over the weekend and see if I can find anything to photograph for you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
I've waited this long ... No problem
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy, I went to the cemetery this morning, and I am afraid there is good news and bad news.

The lovely Christine was hugely helpful again, she printed maps of the plot sites, (which I can send to you if you wish,) and she used her lunch break to take me to find them, but sadly no headstones survive at either place.  I do hope you are not desperately disappointed.

Best wishes, Judy.

Offline shadykd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judy, I would love the paper work. When I make plans to come over, I will take you and Christine out to lunch.
Carmody, Smiddy, Gohr

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
 :)

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My name is frank Davies, I live in Melbourne Australia.

I am looking for some assistance in finding out some information about my paternal grandmother.

Her name was Ethel May Davies, nee Symons, she died in the Royal Gwent Hospital on the 16th of December 1934.  The informant was her husband, Herbert Edward Charles Davies.  The address given on the death certificate was 66 Gaer park Rd St Woolos.

My father and his brother returned separately to Wales just before WW2 looking for her grave.  My father thought she may have been buried in the Bassaleg cemetery.  May father also searched in 1943 to no avail.  To date, I have not been able to find any records.

It is thought that she may have been buried in an ubmarked grave.

Does anyone have any knowledge of undertakers operating in Newport at the time.  I am hoping that even if my grandmother was buried in an unmarked grave there should be some records somewhere.

Any information or suggetions will be most appreciated.

Thank

Frank Davies