Author Topic: William McDonald and Isabella Watt  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McDonald and Isabella Watt
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on William McDonald and his wife Isabella Watt. William was born in Boleskine and married Isabella on 21 Jan 1876 at Tomatin - Aird Moy Inverness shire. William died in 1927 at Mosshall Nairn but I can't find a death for Isabella. She was still alive in 1905 when their daughter Hughina was married so she died between then and 1927. They had 4 daughters Grace b 27 April 1876 Moy Inverness shire, Mary b circa 1878 Daviot Inverness shire, Hughina b 25 Aug 1879 Daviot and Charlotte b circa 1883 Croy Inverness. Hughina married George Brown 1905 at Ardclach Nairn and she died in 1958. Her address at 1905 was given as Milltown of Petty Gollanfield so I assume her parents were probably there. Charlotte married Frank Smith a salmon fisher 1910 in Nairn then I lost track of them after 1911 when she was in Nairn and he was at Whiteness Head Fishing Bothy at Ardersier. Grace and Mary were both at Ardclach in 1891 but after that I don't know what happened to them. Can anyone help?
Seoni

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William McDonald and Isabella Watt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
If William only died in 1927 - he will be on the 1911 census.  Have you checked the 1911 to see whether Isabella was alive at that time to narrow any search?

Who reported William's death?  Is Isabella shown as deceased at that time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoni and Carole  :)

Seoni, there is a death in 1916 for an Isabella Watt/McDonald b. 1838. Have you viewed this entry to discount it?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole and Monica
I had trouble finding William in 1911. He was a shepherd and moved about all over the place. Having the name McDonald does not make searching easy and it is expensive to check all the ones that come up on Scotlandspeople. I will have a look at the 1916 death and hopefully that will solve that little mystery. I suspect that Isabella did not give her right age in any of the census and that threw me when I searched for a death. I am stiill trying to find out about the rest of the family. Thank you for your help
Seoni

Offline Moyra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 August 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
I have sent a p.m. but not sure if you're still interested???
I have recently discovered this couple in my ancestry.
Would like to hear from you please.  MB

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 August 19 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Moyra
I have info on Hughina and her husband. They are buried in Nairn Cemetery and I have the gravestone inscription. You may have more info than me so we should compare notes
Seoni