Author Topic: Capt. Alexander Cameron Richardson Tunbridge Wells  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capt. Alexander Cameron Richardson Tunbridge Wells
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
 Im looking for information about Capt. Alexander Cameron Richardson. I have his family background up to the time of his marriage which I summarize here in case it is helpful

He was born Nov 10,1884 York, Yorkshire one of six children born to James Richardson (1845-1891) and Catherine Cameron (1855-1910). He was baptised Dec. 18,1884 at St Helens Church, York. In 1891 census, at York he was living with his parents and siblings and attending school. In 1901 census he and his brother Thomas Dow Richardson (1887-1971) were attending boarding school in Yorkshire. In 1911 census he and his brother Thomas are both law students at school in London, so obviously Alexander entered the legal profession. Need any information about his university education, entrance to the bar etc and where he practiced law (assuming he did).

Alexander was married to Ethel Dorothy Goldsmid-stern-Salomons 3rd qtr 1915 at St Martin, London. Ethel was born July qtr 1892 at St George Hanover Square and died as A WIDOW Feb 3,1937 at Middlesex so obviously Alexander had passed away before then.Ethel was one of five children born to Sir David L Goldsmid-stern-Salomons (1851-1925) and Laura Julia de Stern (1855-1935). The Salomon family lived in Tunbridge Wells at their Broomhill estate on Broomhill Road.

The next record I have for Alexander is the Kelly directories of 1920 and 1922 where he is living at Broomhill Bank, Lower Green Road, Rusthall, Tunbridge Wells. This was a large estate located no more than a mile from the Salomons estate on Broomhill Road and in fact is just down the road from them.

A family tree notes that Alexander and Ethel had a son and a daughter but they are not identified by name etc and so I would like to find out more about their children.

Also want to find out about Alexander in the army. Any Gazette announcements would be useful.The family tree identified him as a captain.

Also want to find out anything about Alexander after his marriage. Want to find out when and where he died. The only death record I could find was for an Alexander Cameron Richardson who died in Belgium Sept 25,1936 but he only had an estate valued at 251 pounds so it cant be him for he should have died with a large estate,

Any help appreciated.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Alexander Cameron Richardson Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing 5 births for Richardson, mother's maiden name of Goldsmith.
You can look them up yourself at www.freeBMD.org.uk.

For Alexander's military appointments, try the London Gazette (www.london-gazette.co.uk).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. As I said in my posting I do not need any information about Alexanders mother who's maiden name was Cameron not Goldsmith. I looked at the London Gazette site you referred me to but I couldn't find any mention of a Capt Alexander Cameron Richardson. I wonder why he is referred to as a captain. That Gazette site is a real pig to look through I had to check over 100 entries as I could not get it to just look for "Alexander Cameron Richardson". I got a bunch of Richardsons with different forenames. Whoever designed that site needs to improve on it.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
I was looking for the children of Alexander & Ethel!

If they married in 1915, children would likely have been born in the following 10 years?
The only problem being, under which maiden name would they be indexed?!

But I can't see anything obvious?

The births I mentioned before are wrong!
There is another Richardson-Goldsmith marriage in 1925 ::)

The 1915 marriage is entered on the GRO indexes (and therefore FreeBMD) as follows:
September qtr 1915
St Martin district    vol 1b, page 1764

Richardson, Alexander C
Goldsmid-Stern-Salomans, Ethel D
Stern-Salomans, Ethel D G
Salomans, Ethel D G S
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:42 BST (UK) »

The only death record I could find was for an Alexander Cameron Richardson who died in Belgium Sept 25,1936 but he only had an estate valued at 251 pounds so it cant be him for he should have died with a large estate,

Why do you think he should have had a large estate  :-\   Ethel only left £9,600 which could have included her personal assets

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie 99

The medal index card might be relavant but without a service record giving his wife or some other recognizable member of the family it is tough to make a reliable connection.

I had my doubts about the 1936 Belgium death of Alexander based mainly because of the extremely low value of the estate. The Richardson and Salomons familys were very wealthy. Alexander Richardson was in the legal profession and I cant imagine a man in his position leaving an estate worth peanuts. Although the value of his wifes estate was good, but not huge, it is somewhat surprising that it was not larger but it may not be a true reflection of her worth if she deeded much of her assets to her children before her death which for tax and other reasons is often done. As I said in my inquiry it is difficult to make too many conclusions in the absence of some facts to work on, I did find on the internet that Alexander acted as the executor of at least two estates I saw and therefore must have been a man of some legal or professional standing to be entrusted with that responsibility. I checked on the internet expecting to find something written about him and was surprised not to find much at all. He is a bit of a mystery man at the moment. Hopefully some more clues will come in from my inquiry.

Offline lilacfairy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 June 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
 Alexander Cameron Richardson was the son of Catherine (nee Cameron) Richardson - later Schmidt -who died in 1910. She was the sister of my husbands Great Grandfather Joseph Cameron & over the years I have done some research into their Family History. Alexander married Ethel Dorothy Goldsmidt -Stern Salomons on 16th August 1915 at St Martins District Register Office London. They had 2 children - Donald L C (Cameron) Richardson Jun Qtr 1918 Steyning District & Yvonne C (Cameron) Richardson Jun Qtr 1919 also Steyning. Yvonne never married - she died 18th August 2001 & was a wealthy lady. I believe Donald married a lady named Winifred & I believe they had at least 1 child.
 Alexander did indeed die in Belgium - I have a copy of his Will which states on 10th of June 1932 he lived at 600 Chausee de Ghistelles, St Andre-lez-Bruges - although when he died on 25th September 1936 he was stated as living at Vieux Chateau Nieuburg, Oostcamp Belgium. He left Effects of only £251 6s 1d.
 Whilst it's true his wife's family were wealthy the details in the Will may explain :-
                       His Will states ' I give and bequeath unto my wife Marie Eugenie Francoise Annette Cameron Richardson (nee de Leyer) everything of which I die possessed or to which I shall be entitled at the time of my death and I hope that my Executors will arrange my affairs so that the aforesaid Marie Eugenie Francoise Annette will recieve the same pecuniary benefits which I have enjoyed during my lifetime and that no obstacle to ensure the carrying out of this, my last wish, will be raised by any member if my family. N.B. I call the above mentioned Marie Eugenie Francoise Annette de Leyer my wife although we have not contracted a civil Marriage.'
 I hope this is of some use to you - I do not have any details of his Law Career & would be interested in any other Family details you may have.

Offline borewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 August 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
hello to all those posting about cameron ,his marriage ,children,military ,will etc. This is fascinating to me as I am connected along Jewish line of salamons and ethel's marriage. All salamons etc are on my tree -scottfamilyheritage. I go by fbmd also on dates ut am at a loss to follow what happened about will.Did he possibly divorce Ethel and remarry but only remarried in church not at a Belgian town hall- who can verify the Belgian end. We can verify military stuff on Gazette as said what known of education and professional career -doesnt appear to be on wikipedia or peerage websites-my favourites.

regards
Anthony Scott-Norman