Author Topic: 'The elder' and 'The younger' - meaning/interpretation  (Read 8896 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: 'The elder' and 'The younger' - meaning/interpretation
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 February 15 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ottery St Mary family which has a Richard Pyne I, and Richard Pyne II, as two siblings. So there are many variations on this theme.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 February 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
  I have a couple of instances where there were two brothers of the same name and both survived to adulthood.

Yikes. I have always used the birth of a later child of the same name as an earlier child
to mean that the earlier child has died, and record (and cite) my DB as such.

I conventionally put "birth of same named sibling" as a comment against the deduced death event.

:(

BugBear

Well, I know the following from first hand .....   I have several older brothers, all still living.  They have several given names.   They share the same FIRST given name.  It is the same as our late Dad's first given name, and it is the same as the first given name of Dad's brothers.  And it is even the same first given name of Dad's Dad, and Dad's Dad's Dad.....  and it is John.    They were all known by one of their other given names .... (some carry three given names, some four, plus of course their surname).   

These lads (Dad and his brothers) were all born in New South Wales, Australia during the early to mid 20th Century.  Oops, need to Add.... one of Dad's brothers was born late 1890s.... so late 19thC.

From a family history perspective, it is easy for my generation to sort, for we knew/know these people personally, but we can giggle at the thought of "what if someone, several generations later than us  wanted to do our family history ....where would they start !" .....   Fortunately there's several of us who have obtained lots of official documents.

I say no more

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 February 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I'd forgotten about this particular sideline until majm's post. ;D

Henry James Francillon and his wife Jessie Maria had six sons, all alive at the same time.  There sons were - Francis Henry, Francis James, Francis Charles, Francis Oliver, Francis Robert and Francis Edward.  The only surviving daughter was named Lucy Elizabeth.  I would imagine the sons were all known by their middle names. :-X  Paternal Grandfather was Francis Francillon and his wife's name was Frances. ;D ;D  Thankfully nobody else on that line was quite so fond of the name Francis to replicate the name in that way.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 February 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Camassia1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 June 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry I realise this is quite an old post, but I am descended from the Benjamin Brigden who married Ann Mansur. I just wanted to say that I am really interested that you independently came up with all the assumptions I did. I believe that Thomas Brigden of Hadlow is the same person as Thomas Brigden the Younger of Mereworth who married Jane Stone, and the son of Thomas Brigdine the Elder of Mereworth. And that Thomas and Jane's son is Thomas the father of Benjamin Brigden. Everything stacks up but I still can't prove it definitively!

Incidentally, I did find additional information about Samuel Cooke, Jane Stone's grandfather, and an amazing will from his wife Susan who pretty much itemised all her household belongings if anyone wants to know more.

Thomas Brigden, not yet 21 in 1654, was possibly son of Thomas Brigden and Jane Drewrye, born between 1650 - 1654, Mereworth or Hadlow, potentially raised family in Hadlow between 1681 - 1691, including the Benjamin Brigden who married Ann Mansur.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 June 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Camassia, welcome to RootsChat.

Although this topic was posted in 2014, sugarfizzle was online earlier today and will be notified of your reply by email notification.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Camassia, Again, a very warm welcome to Rootschat.

There are so many different versions on online trees with ancestors of Benjamin Brigden who married Ann Mansur/? Mancer, also different versions for his descendants.

DNA has helped prove my line of descent, but paper trail doesn't! There were just too many 'Brigdens of Hadlow'.

Happy to share information if you would like to.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Camassia1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 March 21 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Margaret, sorry I completely missed your reply back in June. Just seen it now. I'd love to exchange  info with you.

In relation to this thread, have you seen the burial of the "wife of Thomas Brigden" in Hadlow on 30 June 1658. To me this fairly clinches the hypothesis that Thomas Brigden the Younger of Mereworth is one and the same as Thomas Brigden of Hadlow, as it ties in with the will of Jane Drewrye/Stone/Brigden. There is also a burial in Hadlow of a Jane Brigden, daughter of Thomas Brigden in 1662, no baptism found so far - so it seems that Thomas and Jane not only had a son Thomas, but a daughter Jane born after the death of T the Elder

There are so many different versions on online trees with ancestors of Benjamin Brigden who married Ann Mansur/? Mancer, also different versions for his descendants.

DNA has helped prove my line of descent, but paper trail doesn't! There were just too many 'Brigdens of Hadlow'.

Happy to share information if you would like to.

Regards Margaret