Author Topic: Sarah Carriage 1806 Barling  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Carriage 1806 Barling
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to find a baptism for Sarah Ann Carriage (or variation maybe Kerridge or Carrage) born 1806/1807 in Barling / Canewdon as the census. A lodger of Sarah Ann in 1851 was William Carriage born 1808 Barling who may have been related. In 1841 William Carriage was possibly living in Althorne Essex married to Mary possibly about 1825 from the age of their eldest child. William may been in Steeple in 1847 according to a newspaper report.
Can anyone find a marriage circa 1825 or baptism about 1808 for William Carriage?

My guess is that Sarah Ann Carriage is the daughter of Joseph and Mary Carriage but I would appreciate any help or confirmation of my thoughts as below.

Joseph Carriage was a widow when he married Mary Shed a widow on 24 Oct 1796 at Barling both made their mark witness Daniel Pedler and Thomas Blencoe signed

Joseph and Mary Carriage had a daughter Jane baptised in 1803 at Barling. Mary Carriage wife of Joseph was buried 10 Jan 1808 at Barling.

Only eight months after the death of Mary Carriage, Joseph and Sarah Carriage had two children Daniel and Elizabeth Carriage baptised in Sep 1808 at Barling (I wonder if they were twins as Sarah had had two sets of twins previously?). Daniel was buried a month later but his name does give a suggest that perhaps Joseph Carriage was bap 15 Apr 1753 s of Daniel and Sarah at Maldon Essex.

I could not find a marriage in Barling but Joseph Carriage married Sarah Matthews 5 Nov 1810 at Steeple Essex. This may be a totally different couple.
Are there any notes on this marriage??

I wondered if Sarah Matthews was a widow when she married Joseph and found in Barling;
Edward and Sarah Matthews who bap their first child James at Barling in 1789 then a twin son George bap in 1796 and a twin son Thomas bap in 1797. Thomas and George were probably both buried as paupers in 1796 also possibly an unbaptised twin Judith also in 1796 (within weeks). Edward Matthews (Labourer) was buried 15 Sep 1807 at Barling. Essex.
Who did Edward Matthews marry around 1789?

Did Edward's widow Sarah marry Joseph Carriage in Steeple??

I wondered if Elizabeth 1808 may have been Sarah Ann but Elizabeth Carriage married in 1829 at Southchurch and Sarah Ann's husband witnessed her wedding!! Obviously this links Sarah Ann to this Carriage family but I cannot find Sarah Ann Carriage baptised in 1806/7 in Canewdon or Barling. If Joseph and Sarah married in Steeple perhaps Sarah Ann was baptised there? Could somebody look for me please??

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Carriage 1806 Barling
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Sarah carriage bap 15 Oct 1804 in little wakering, to Joseph and Sarah carriage, which is very close to barling.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - but that scuppers my idea that Joseph was previously married to Mary!! (but best to get it right)
 Is there a baptism for William Carriage (or any other Carriage children) in Little Wakering? And possibly a marriage for Joseph to Sarah??

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. No to William and the marriage I'm afraid :-(
and

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Both Sarah and Joseph were widowed when they married. Witness by Daniel Cole (looks like he was a church warden and he witnessed a lot of them) and Thomas Smith at St Lawrence Steeple

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Ok to sum up what I think you have said, and add what I've found:
Mary shedd and Joseph carriage married 24/10/1796 in barling. Mary dies 10/1/1808
Daughter Jane born 8/8/1803.

However, I found Sarah carriage born to Joseph and Sarah carriage 15/10/1805 in Little Wakering. Also, Daniel and Elizabeth born to Joseph and Sarah carriage 28/9/1808.

Makes me wonder if the Mary and Joseph are a different couple as Mary dies after Joseph and Sarah have Sarah in 1805?

I looked into the steeple carriages and found these:
Joseph kerridge and Judith bridges m in Mayland (which is next to steeple) 17/9/1772 and have Sarah 16/6/1773 and Joseph 13/1/1778. Didn't find death for Judith but there's a Joseph carriage who marries Mary wood in steeple 29/7/1782 and they have Daniel 29/10/1786 and Mary 26/9/1790.

There's a Daniel carriage who marries Mary Harvey in steeple too 1/10/1781. Joseph is witness. Am guessing they are related to your carriages as the names all match? Maybe your Sarah's grandparents are Joseph and Judith? But where was her dad, Joseph born?

Hope this helps! :-)
and

Offline AndyK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
William CARRIAGE marriage c1825 – how about William marrying Mary SHERWOOD 24 Oct 1824 at Cold Norton.  Cold Norton is not far from Althorne or Steeple

I looked at this family some years ago and what you have found has significantly added to what I had.   The research was made difficult by several Joseph’s and with at least two of them marrying more than once, plus several Daniels.  My thoughts were as follows

Daniel KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE married Sarah BROWN 1752 at Maldon.  They had at least 2 children
1)   Joseph (buried 1833 age 83) who married firstly Judith BRIDGES in 1772 Mayland, & had Sarah (bp 1773, poss bur 1787 Steeple), Joseph (bp1778, died young?).  Judith died & was buried 1782 at Steeple. 

Joseph then married Mary WOOD in 1782 & had a Joseph (bp 1783 Steeple), Daniel (bp 1786); William (bur 1789); possibly Sarah (bur 1790 Steeple) and Mary (bp 1790).  Of these children; Joseph (1783) see next; Daniel seems to have been alive in 1815 and “of Grays” and was perhaps buried 1840; and Mary seems to have married Thomas GARDNER in 1804 in Purleigh.  Mary nee WOOD was buried 1790 at Steeple.

I had not spotted the third marriage of Joseph following death of Mary nee WOOD, to Mary SHED.  So thanks for that, and the tie into the children at Barling

2)   Daniel (bc 1759, bur 1811? Purleigh) married 1781 at Steeple to Mary HARVEY – no children found, and then seems to have married again in 1783 to Mary COOK.  Again no children found.
After Daniel’s death, Mary COOK married William RAYMENT.

So, Joseph bp 1783 married firstly Sarah RABBETS at Norwich St Sepulchre (see settlement note below) and had 3 or 4 children - Joseph (bc 1801 Norwich & married Mary Ann FULLER),
William (probably same as married Mary SHERWOOD), Sarah (who married Thomas BRADFORD).  I have not found the death of Sarah nee RABBETS, so am not sure if a 4th child Elizabeth, bc 1806 and bp 1813 was legitimate or not.  Joseph married secondly at Steeple in 1810 to Sarah MATTHEWS, a widow; and I have 7 children for them.

William and Mary SHERWOOD:  I have a note re a Settlement examination of 1805 for Lt Wakering as follows which may throw some light on William’s parentage and also help with the relationships:  Joseph CARRAGE, Wakering 1805 Jan 29, lab 27 born Steeple, married 5 years ago at St Sepulchre Norwich, 3 children Joseph 5, William 2, Sarah 4m.  10 years ago served Elisha LEWIN of Purleigh, 1 year in husbandry at £7 (X mark of Joseph CARRIAGE)

William and Mary appear to have had the following children – note as well as being in the 1841 census of Althorne, William was in 1851 Canewdon and 1861 Eastwood.
1)   Mary Ann, bp 9 Oct 1825 at Purleigh appears to have been unmarried.  Was a pauper in 1861+71.
2)   William, born c1831 Purleigh? – nothing more known after 1841
3)   John born c1833? Purleigh, married in the 1850'S?to a Mary Anne (bc1834 Benfleet) and died in 1912 in Rochford RD.  Had children:  Marian, Rachel, Frederick, John, Mary Anne, Ada, & Arthur.  John was noted as a lab or ag lab in 1861-1881 censuses.  In 1911 he was with his daughter, Ada and her family

Hope this helps or more likely confuses the situation more!  :)