Author Topic: my family tree. Kearns!  (Read 7655 times)

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
my family tree. Kearns!
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
I am tracing my family tree and it seems we have ancestors that are from Mayo. Apparently my great grandmother margaret kearns was born in Chester,cheshire to irish immigrants. I have found that the Kearns family (margarets mum and dad were called john kearns and anne). I can't find her maiden name. I was so excited i will pay  a visit to mayo to visit the site of my forefathers haunts. Does the name Kearns seem familiar to any of you lovely people on this board?. What is mayo like now? checking the history i see it is quite rural. Would my ancestors of come over in the potato famine? Any information or help would be a bonus! thanks ;D

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: my family tree. Kearns!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Whilst it is exciting to discover this, you may have to be patient and do more searching.
Is this your family?  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X31Q-3Q9

If I have the right family, this marriage may be relevant from Free BMD

March 1875 Chester vol 8a pg 606
John Kearns and Ann Bourk are on the same page.

This could be verified by purchasing a birth certificate for one of the children - probably Margaret as she is your ancestor. That would give you her mother's maiden name.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome Heywood. You are right that is my family. I haven't found Anne Bourk but you have found it for me! i am so thrilled,now hopefully i can trace her too! I admit i am sceptical by nature so it is like you say good to go through it carefully . Now i have Anne Bourk as my relative i am so happy. I was thinking of hiring an expert to research but some seem so expensive! Thanks again i can look on ancestry now for anne bourk. :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
The problem is with spellings etc.
At the moment I can't either John Kearns or Ann Bourk in 1871.

There are variations of the surnames as you will perhaps know and both are quite common surnames.

The marriage certificate would give you their fathers' names which would take you back a generation.

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, i appreciate this. I will order both margaret kearns birth certificate and the marriage certificate of john and anne bourk. There are variations and i didn't realise they were common surnames. I take it this is an irish surname. Now i can go back a generation thanks to your help. I faff about a bit on the computer i am not very computer savvy! thanks again

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Good luck  :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Can we figure where in Ireland they came from?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrdean81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
That's what i thought. It says on ancestry Bassey and then for her it says birtery. Places i don't know anything about!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
They are baffling me aswell??   I wonder if this is a case of someone writing down what they thought they heard ?  cant find any placenames in Mayo that begin with the letters Bis,,,?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk