Author Topic: Millholme House, Musselburgh  (Read 5525 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millholme House, Musselburgh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Re possible records for Millholme House, the Southern Reporter, Thur 12 Nov 1908, carried an article about Melrose Asylum. The article referred to an earlier article, written 1902, about Melrose Asylum and the earlier item stated -
"It is now 30 years since the Asylum was completed and opened in May 1872 when 124 patients were brought to it from the temporary Asylum at Millholme House, Musselburgh".

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 April 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
Tom,
I've done a bit more research on the family and found that John  had a daughter Mary born in Selkirk 14/1/1865. He signed the birth reg, therefore he must have transferred to the asylum sometime between 14/1/1865 and 18/8/1865 (when he died). His death cert states that he suffered acute mania for 4 months prior to his death which may have been the total time he was in the asylum.  Thanks for taking the trouble to look for me.
hanes teulu,
I'll find out if there is still a facility in Melrose and see if they know what happened to the records.
Thanks,  Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 July 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
How is this search going?
One of my ancestors, Isabella Black, died in Millholme House asylum in 1858, aged 16. Her death certificate states that she was was a pauper and lunatic, and was buried in Inveresk Churchyard. On the website for the church there is a list of contacts, any one of whom could probably give you information on how to locate a grave from the 1800s in the churchyard.
Lothian Health Services Archive were extremely helpful when I contacted them by email to try to find out why Isabella had been placed in an asylum. So that might be worth a try.
Anne Lothian

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 July 15 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
Thanks for your post; I meant to add one myself some time ago just to let interested people know that I had been successful in tracking down a record of circumstances etc leading up to my great grandfather's death.  I too contacted the Lothian Health Services Archive and I'd have to agree that the service provided by them was nothing short of outstanding. (And free too!! Couldn't believe it in this day and age..)  They provided me with a copy from a Journal/Diary which offered a very detailed account of the last few days of his life in Millholme.  Very sad but an excellent document to have.  Your post has reminded me that I must follow up on where he was buried.
Thank you.
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)