Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arran
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Maybe the owner made his money at the "Dugs!"...…...Shawfield!  ;D

Skoosh.

Well done Skoosh, only a "duggie man" would get that one! My Dad's best dog raced as Queeqeg at the Ayrshire tracks.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi - another Newbie to RootsChat but long term family searcher.
A similar request to this one. Corrie - My brothers & I have all been taken, at different times in the 50's & 60's, to see a cousin to our aunt, living on the A841. We all can identify the house but not the cousin. Anyone know how we can find out who this was? The house is just passed the inlet and has a garden on the opposite side of the road. On Google maps it is at present with a balck door & brown picket fence. It has a slightly lower roof than the neighbours on either side.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to rootschat  :).

When you have made 2 more posts [just reply to this twice] you can send me your email address by personal message[click the text icon under my name]. I can then send you an image of some mapping I did in Corrie which, if you know the name of the house, can lead you to identifying its owners.  However, there are no houses which as far as I know had title to any land on the beach side of the road.

ADDED: I am sure there is a good reason that the original poster of this thread never got back to thank anyone for their efforts on her behalf!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. If you look on Google maps you will see across the road from the cottages there are some gardens which I exactly how I remember it from 1963. We all have pictures of the house but have no real knowledge of this cousin other than her name being Jenny(Jennie). Of course in Scotland this could also be Janet, Jean, or Jane! I cannot find a number shown.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

Any idea on cousin's age at the time (from the 1950s and 60s)?

Any key surnames that could help others searching?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
And if you know the name of the house....but no names of living people as you no doubt know.

PS Ahh now I have it.....yes, about 5 cottages with garden originally over the road & several others at a later date. Only names I can see are Briar Cottage, Ty-canol & Fuschia Bank.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
My aunt was born in 1898 & I guess this cousin would be around the same time. The surnames that might link would be Aitchison, Whitelaw, Blane, Miller but it could be something else.

Offline hopeless24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at this map I would think that those named are a likely bet as particularly one looks to open onto wild ground at the back. The house was very small & when Jenny had both back & front doors open the sheep would wonder through from one side to the other.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Found another few with gardens over the road, to the north of previous post. When you say 'just past the inlet' - how far away can you remember? And north or south?