Author Topic: 1923 - M. I. Kirk Onchan (St. Peter) Churchyard  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1923 - M. I. Kirk Onchan (St. Peter) Churchyard
« on: Sunday 06 April 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Our daughter (from New Zealand) will be in IOM for a very short time in May and in between nursing shifts will visit/take photos any of the ancestral spots important to our Manx heritage.

One will be in the Onchan (St. Peter) Kirkyard where John Edward Flower who died 26 October 1923 at Douglas, was buried 30 October 1923 in Kirk Onchan (St. Peter) Churchyard.

We, here in New Zealand, wonder if there is a headstone, and is there a quick way to search the Churchyard e.g.plot and row numbers to identify the site.

Grateful for any suggestions - Faith (Cubbin, Cubbon, Claque, Quayle, Gill and Moore) and Barrie Green (Green and Flower)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1923 - M. I. Kirk Onchan (St. Peter) Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Could  you please  check your  records  ---I cannot  find your   relation  in Onchan burial   records??

Would be pleased  to  do other lookups  for you  I live close by  Manx  Museum  library.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 April 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
I  have found   John   Edward's burial  --date is correct  but burial place  is  Douglas Borough

Cemetery .   Will provide   number &  row  info . tomorrow  for you  plus   MI   if there  is  a stone. 

It  will be   easy to find   as   it is a  modern   grave yard   with clearly labelled rows  &  a map  at

the main gateway.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 April 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
 ;) Hi Voirrey

Thanks for your data. It appears that I have had incorrect data re the Cemetery for the John Edward Flower and have now adjusted my records.

How kind of you to assist me. One never ceases to be amazed by the help of other folk re Family History.

Have been pleased to find a Manx connection for myself as Faith, my wife, has published a book on her great grandfather John Chubbin (Cubbon).

Again thank you for your ever so kind help.

Barrie green.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
In/  Memory  of  /   John  Edward   FLOWER  /  of   Manchester  and  Sale / who   died  26th  October
1923  /  aged   81  years  /   Also    of  /  Elizabeth   Ann /  wife of the  above/ who died  1st  February
1919/  aged   64 years / and was interred at / S.  Luke's Church , Cheetham  ,  Manchester.

Ref.  no.  D  37.   Map on wall at gateway  has  blocks  marked.  Not far to walk.   

/   shows   end of lines  on headstone.

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Voirrey

You have really made my day with your data a great bonus to add to the first rain we have had for months. It never rains but it pours seems an apt description. Nice to see the material to his wife, a first cousin, buried with her folks in St. Luke's Churchyard, Cheetham Hill.

Shona, our daughter, will easily find the headstone from your directions when she visits shortly. She was last there in 1955. We visited Douglas some years ago before we were aware of the Flower grave.

Again, ever so many thanks for helping extend our records for our Family History.

Barrie Green.