Author Topic: Gain Robinson b. 1682 Bannockburn  (Read 6480 times)

Offline slvcheergurl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gain Robinson b. 1682 Bannockburn
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 June 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Well that's slightly less exciting..Ha, but thanks. I'll be in Edinburgh and have a few other names to check out, so that may be a great starting point. Thanks for the tip--I'm still checking out the cemeteries though!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but facts are chiels that winna ding, and I'd hate you to go off on a wild goose chase when your time is likely to be limited.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if "Gain" is a mistranscription or abbreviation for Gavin?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
That had crossed my mind too.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Luvndabear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
So has anyone found more on Gain Robinson? We have Gain on our family tree on ancestry.com ... the museum of maritime & ships in boston says he could be the father of john robinson-of the robinson tea chest...on display now at the museum.  John is my 5th or 6th great-grandfather. So i would like to know for sure on him also...I've tried attaching a couple.of things to share...but am not having luck. 

Offline Luvndabear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Lets see if i can get this.to upload...a pic from ancestry.com

Offline CateF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I realize it’s been a few years but I wanted to add a few items about Gain. First, I believe he may also have been called Gaius. Unfortunately, I don’t have any documents to back this up, but according to handwritten notes from my father (deceased), Gain/Gaius was the son of Hugh Robinson and the grandson of Robert Robertson. Robert, who may have been from Dumbarton, emmigrated to Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland in the mid-1600’s. This fits historically with the emmigration plan of protestant “lowlanders” to Northern Ireland encouraged by King James I (James VI). Both Robert and then Hugh were elders in the Presybeterian church (Glendermott Parish). I have no information on the spouses of Robert or Hugh. At some point Hugh must have ended up back in Scotland, as a couple of sources I’ve seen list Gain’s birth as Bannockburn. The link below to a Wiki tree post confirms most of what has been passed down in my family. (I’m descended from Gain’s daughter Elizabeth.) I also remember reading something about Gain being born in Ireland, so perhaps he was born there and then moved to Scotland as a child or young adult. Sadly, there do not seem to be much in the way of records from the 1600 & 1700s. (Not surprising based on limited resources and literacy, not to mention destruction of the parish by the Jacobites in 1689.)
I hope this helps. I wish I had actual documents to back up my information!
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Robinson-356