Author Topic: undertakers dublin  (Read 3767 times)

Offline butlersearch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
undertakers dublin
« on: Monday 07 April 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching Mary Field born Dublin 1872 I have a possible with parents being Michael Field and Mary Ann Reilly. 

I have just had a conversation with an elderly relative who remembers our Grandmother and recalls her talking of being brought up in O connell Street and her father having an undertakers business
and he was killed by one of his horses.

Is there somewhere I can check for old businesses .

Mary was disowned by her family when she married , and never returned to Ireland.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: undertakers dublin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
You can check Thom's directories year by year but only a few years are online. Pearse St Library in Dublin has a complete run.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 08:52 BST (UK) »
I see from Family Search births 1620 to 1881 that she was born in Blackrock Co Dublin and most likely registered in Rathdown Registration District in 1872 there is also a Death recorded in 1878 in Rathdown for a 5yr old Mary Anne Field.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Did she marry in Ireland because there are a few marriages around the time when she would have been in her twenties or late teens in Dublin ,Cork and Limerick,both Cork and Limerick also have O'Connell Streets.

Offline butlersearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the replies I had not seen the death for a Mary Anne Field does this mean the Blackrock birth I have is wrong ?

I am not sure where the marriage took place but family stories relayed say she met Thomas Butler in Ireland while he was in the army there and bought her back to England when she was 15/16 and her family then disowned her , so my feeling is the marriage took place in England but I have never been able to trace it.

Regards

regards

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
To help search for you can you clarify

Where did Mary's year of birth come from?
Could this be out by a year or two?
If so, there are at least 10 births of a Mary Field or Mary Fields in the Dublin area between 1870 and 1874

If Thomas Butler was in the army have you located his military record?
This may refer to his marrying and where; more detail on Thomas would allow us to look
e.g. DoB, regiment...
Soldiers required the permission of their commanding officer to marry; if this was not obtained a certified letter from a church was deemed null and void and many times the couple would have to "marry again"!

Also what denomination were they?

If Mary left Ireland at age 15/16 that would have been 1887/1888 approx.
She would have been underage to marry.

There is a marriage of a Mary Field to a Henry Butler in Dublin in 1893 could this be them?

Are they on UK census on other years?
and especially in 1911, does this refer to years married?

If her father was an undertaker, bear in mid in the 1870s this may mean he was a carpenter, cabinet maker, upholsterer, etc. references to him may be to his trade; he would have to have been the owner of the business to show up on directories of the time.
Field is a bad name for searching for obvious reasons, so the more information the better for searching
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline butlersearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply I will try and answer your questions

Mary field age taken form 1901 census she shows her age as 29 and birthplace Dublin.
I do have Thomas Butler's military record he was in the commissariat and transport corp from 1888 to 1892 he was convicted and imprisoned for theft and discharged in 1892, there is no note of a marriage and his next of kin is his mother Hannah.

I believe them to Roman Catholics.

I have discounted the Mary Field and Henry Butler marriage.

Her first child was born in 1893 so that may narrow down time scale for marriage.

I hope some of this may help.

thank you in anticipation

Regards

They are not on 1911 census as a family together,

Offline pdollinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
since this thread is old not sure where its going.  Looking for the parents of michael joseph field and ann field.  the ann field i keep finding is the grandaughter in census of 1901 and cannot find the mother.  wondering if these are the children of the 15/15yo
thanks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat pdollinger
There are more records online since this thread started so can you clear up a few things so we can try to help.
In which country is the 1901 census you refer to?
Where does it say Michael and Ann were born?
What age are Michael and Ann in the Census so we have an idea when they were born?