Author Topic: Drypool Cemetery, Hull - (disused one)  (Read 17332 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drypool Cemetery, Hull - (disused one)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Rena, what is Lucy's surname and do you know if she had a headstone, I can check in the MI's for Hedon and let you know in due course.

To have removed any remains Exhumation Orders would have been required, one this was costly and required a great deal of documentations and two there had to be good reasons for doing so.

b.

Sorry, I only know that as a young girl, my mother's cousin was taken by her mother to put flowers on Lucy's grave.

I don't know which surname was used for Lucy.   My gt. grandmother was baptised "Lucy Speight" and married my gt.grandfather, a migrant, who in the 1871 census had the surname "Flamme" (pronounced "Flemme");  the spelling changed to "Flemme" when they married in the 1870s and from an 1890s trade directory he had Anglicised the surname to "Fleming".

Here's a photo of her:-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=110530.msg479543#msg479543
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,can't quite believe what I have just read as today I have travelled to hull history centre to find out about burials in drypool cemetery,hedon rd. I did not get very far and tomorrow was going to go to the treasurers house to look at the old records. I am looking for Fosters who were buried here. Tomorrow I will also go to hedon road cemetery and turn in the direction that has been suggested!

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
Can I di anything else on Thursday while I am an interested party with a few hours to spare in the area!

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
0113vanny, look in the MI's books for Drypool & Hedon Road Cemeteries to see if your rellie had a headstone, other than that you will need to search the microfiche for Drypool & Hedon Road Burials.
The staff at Treasure House were extremely helpful yesterday, nothing was too much trouble for them to help me.

Maybe you could help Rena with a MI for her great grandmother in Hedon Rd Cemetery, I will ask you on her behalf just in case she dosen't see you offering to look up anything.

Thanks, b.
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
It's so weird that I have doing this today.there is no MI for my rels,I looked today,but I found the reference to drypool cemetery,hedon road in the newspaper death notice in 1898. Let's see what I get up to tomorrow! Thanks for all your interesting and detailed reports

Offline Woollybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 June 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
The grassed over area just past the end of Ferries Street is indeed the former Drypool and Southcoates Cemetery, or "Simmy" as we used to call it when we used to play on it in the 1960s. I have a feeling that the gravestones were all around the edges then, but we moved away from Crowle Street in 1965 and five years later Hull City Council flattened the whole area so nobody lives there now. According to Alan Godfrey in the intro to the reprinted 1908 O. S. map of the Hedon Road area, the cemetery was opened in 1852. Without consulting my notes I can't determine a closure date but it must have been in the late 1940s.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 June 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Update:
I have been in contact with the Hull Bereavement offices since October 2014 and this past week I have had an email detailing that they cannot find any more correspondence relating to my query of the removal and re-sighting of headstones from Old Drypool Cemetery to Hedon Road but they can confirm no exhumations took place and that the said remains are still in the Old Drypool Cemetery. They have now suggested I contact the church as some letters were sent to the church and also to the York Diocese too, looks likely to be a long haul again to find some definitive answers of which graves are in Perpertuity, except for the one we know of.

I did ask the question of where was the headstones removed to from the Old Drypool Cemetery and they haven't been able to find the answer to this question.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Woollybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 June 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure the headstones were all ranged round the edges of what had been the cemetery in the early 1960s. For all I know, they could still be there! But surely anyway the Hull History Centre (or similar) should have the cemetery records, and haven't the EYFHS transcribed the MIs?

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 June 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
EYFHS have been searching and asking for years of what happened to the headstones too.
Cemetery records are with the Bereavement Services in Hull who look after the cemeteries, it is the birth, death and marriages records that the Treasure House and Hull History Centre have.
The problem with my request is that it encompasses so many different organisations including the past Hull Corporation who originally held the cemetery records.

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.