Author Topic: Registers of the French Church of Portarlington 1694-1816  (Read 11040 times)

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Registers of the French Church of Portarlington 1694-1816
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Pity that book wasn't titled Portarlington 1780-1850 by John Stocks Powell...!  Would have been a great help.  The available records always peter out just at the point you need verification of something...

Many thanks indeed.
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Combined Registers of Portarlington, Lea and Ballykean 1800-1850; also the English Church;
--------------
1812.6.14; Baptism-Ellen 5th daughter of Cha Cobb of Belgrove porter by his wife Ann.
-----
1813.11.23; Baptism- John 2nd son of Geo Cobb of Deerpark farmer by his wife Jane.
------
1815.04.14; Burial-Mich Cobb batch at Lea
------
1815.07.09;Baptism-Wm 2nd son of Geo Cobb of Deerpark farmer by his wife Jane.
----
1817..04.25; Baptism-Geo 2nd son of Geo Cobb of Deerpark farmer by his wife Jane.
-------
1817.09.23; Baptism-Henry eldest son of Peter Cobb of Deerpark farmer by his wife Jane.
------
1817.11.23; Baptism-Th eldest son of William Cobb Deerpark farmer by his wife Grace.
-------
1819.11.07; Baptism-Richard son of Will & Grace Cobb Deerpark.
-------
1821.05.13; Baptism-George son of Geo & Ann Cobb Deerpark-privately baptized on 12 may 1821
----
1821.06.24; Baptism-Eliza  D to Will & Grace Cobb Deerpark.
-------
1823.05.18; Baptism-Rob son of George & Jane Cobbe
--------
1823.12.28; Baptism-Anne daugh of Wm & Grace Cobbe.
-------
1825.09.18; Baptism-David son of  George & Jane Cobbe born Sept 5th
------
=======================
Jack

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that, Jack2227.  I have a cousin in Texas who will be simply delighted at the information there.

I have a DNA link to William Cobbe mentioned here.  However, I have a documentary descendency from a Charles Cobbe c1798-1861.  1798 is crucial, as sadly it is two years before the beginning of these Portarlington and Lea registers.  I would make a reasonable guess that my Charles is the first of that series of baptisms to Charles and Eliz/Ann of Bellegrove.  But I have no documentary link to William of Deerpark, even though that is where the DNA link is.

So close and yet so far.  But this has been most helpful indeed, and I am very grateful.  There are also two more children of William and Grace which we did not so far know of, Th(omas?) and Richard.
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline shadow77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 04:59 BST (UK) »
Martha COBB (Or perhaps COBBE) was my 3x Great Grandmother, she married Dennis BACON, had a daughter Eliza BACON in Ireland apparently, in 1827. Dennis, Martha and family immigrated to Tasmania. 

I have DNA connections to COBBE

1 is a descendant of Elizabeth COBBE who was married to Christopher COX,
Born about 1813 death registered Mountmellick 1883.

The other is a descendant of Charles BACON and his wife Ann MAJOR through daughter Eliza born 1827, who died in Victoria Australia 1874.
Eliza COBBE was married to Walter PATTERSON, 1849 marriage registered Mountmellick. 
These matches are also shared matches and at least one matches a match I know is a match through daughter of Dennis BACON and Martha COBBE.

Wondering if perhaps My Martha COBBE was a sibling of Charles COBBE and Elizabeth COBBE perhaps?   
Martha was born about 1800. 

I  can't find record of marriage for Martha and Dennis, nor can I find their baptisms or baptisms of their children born in Ireland. 

Children of Dennis BACON and Martha COBBE born Ireland were

Eliza 1827
Anne 1829
Maria 1830

Margaret was born at sea 1833

The rest of the children were born in Tasmania

Eleanor 1835
Dennis 1837
James 1840
Charles 1842

Dennis, Martha's husband also had a brother John BACON.

Lisa

Some say Martha was from Cornwall, I have never seen any proof of this. 

Offline Cobbegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 March 21 15:52 GMT (UK) »
      Jack2227 - Thank you so very much for posting these baptisms! Richard Cobb (e), baptized 7 Nov 1819 was my 2nd great grandfather. We have searched for a long time to find proof of his connection to William and Grace Cobbe, as we have DNA matches that connect to them.
      My family and I appreciate so much your posting these! Are you connected to the Cobb (e) family in any way?
      If anyone else reading this is connected to the Cobbes, please contact me. Thank you!

Offline Cobbegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 March 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
KD146- Hello! I am very interested in your post concerning the Cobb (e) baptisms. I descend from the Richard Cobbe you did not know about. He was my 2nd great grandfather. I would very much like to discuss the Cobbe family with you. My ancestry tree Albro, Cobbe, Eakin, Burrows, etc. is public. Please view it.
      I will look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!