Author Topic: Robert Anderson (Rox) + ? Elliott (Dumf) m. 1830s, immig. 1834 to Canada  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Sasss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I’m stuck! I have circumstantial evidence that my ggg grandfather Robert Anderson (1805-1879) married an Elliott, but the 1851 census in their area (North Dumfries, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) no longer exists, and he was a widower by 1861. The cemetery where she might have been buried only lists first names and married names, and a baptismal record for one of their sons only states the baby’s name. I’m hoping that someone in the area of Hawick will have access to marriage records and can help me discover the name of my ggg grandmother.

Here’s what I have documented through censuses and personal letters from William, Alexander and Hannah’s son, Thomas Johnstone:

Father: William Anderson (1765 – 1843-04-01)
Mother: Jane Armstrong (1775 - ?)

Children:
Robert (1805 – 1879-05-24)
Alexander (1807 – 1861)
Hannah (1816 - ?)
Adam (1810 – 1860-05-00)

I suspect that other siblings, possibly James, William, John and George immigrated to Canada with Robert in 1834.

Here’s the circumstantial evidence regarding Robert’s wife being an Elliott:
  • Robert’s son James named his first daughter Mabel Elliott.
  • Robert’s second son John named his son John Elliott.
  • Son John’s daughter Jane (aka Jenny) named her second son Kenneth Elliott.
  • Jenny and Fanny Eaglesham always called themselves cousins, and Fanny’s grandmother was Jane Elliott.
  • Those Elliott siblings who emigrated* settled near Robert Anderson.

I suspect that Robert’s wife was a sister of Jane Elliott, perhaps Helen or Margaret, and possibly Jessie Janet. Here’s what I have on the Elliott’s who were from Stanishwater, Westerkirk Parish, Dumfriesshire, Scotland:

Mother: William Elliott (1779-07-31 – 1855-07-10)
Mother: Jane Jardine (1781 – 1859-05-24)

Children:
John (1803-05-18 - ?)
Henry (1803 – 1803)
Jane* (1805-10-24 – 1854) m. Robert Marshall
Henry* (1807-11-18 – 1894-01-26)
Andrew* (1809-04-03 – 1896-04-28)
Robert Laidlaw* (1810-10-17 - ?)
Helen (1812-03-04 - ?)
Margaret (1813-09-13 - ?)
Isabella (1815-09-11 - ?) m. Robert Grieve
Agnes (1818-03-02 - ?) m. Adam Grieve
Jessie Janet (1820-01-28 - ?)
Mary (1823 – 1824-07-30) d. Scotland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Anderson (Rox) + ? Elliott (Dumf) m. 1830s, immig. 1834 to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasss

Welcome to RoostChat  :)

Such a lot of research. Frustrating that you are missing a key player. I can follow your logic from what you show. As an aside Jessie Janet is the same name in Scotland, simply a variant of the name - see www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jessie.html Jean and Jane are also very common interchangeable names in Scotland.

Is this a good summary of the line here too www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Armstrong-Descendants-3780 This person has attached Margaret Elliot as wife of Robert, but this may not be so.

Ontario BMDs in the later periods are very good (from the little I have seen). Is there nothing in Robert and wife's children's marriages or deaths which includes a name for the mother/wife of Robert?

I am sure I am likely to retrace your steps...

Robert's own in 1879 simply confirmed his birth place of Roxburghshire and his age.

Son James Andrew Anderson b. 1840 d. 1935, only father's name Robert given  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 17:56 BST (UK) »

Hannah (1816 - ?)

From the link I added. Possible death for Hannah:

January 14, 1873 in Eskdaill St. Langholm, Dumfries

I can see one just from general searches (haven't viewed it) on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. A Hannah Anderson/Johnstone shows as having died in 1873, with a birth year of 1816, matching what shows on the link in detail. The original image of the death reg would include parents information and spouse details etc.

Monica

Offline Sasss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome -- and so quick, too! And thanks for the clarification of Jessie/Janet. I knew about Jane/Jean.

I have been in touch with the poster of the info you linked to in WikiTree, as she and I are related through Robert's parents. "Margaret Elliott" is just as guess as to the name of his wife. In my post I mentioned all I know about the inclusion of the Elliott name (as middle names of children/grandchildren). Unfortunately, James Andrew's son did not know his grandmother's name when he registered his father's death in Ontario in 1934, and John A. R. died in Alberta in 1920, where a mother's name was not required on a death certificate. As I said -- stuck.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Indeed, stuck on proof and confirmation  :-\

They must have had more children, Robert and wife. James born 1840 and Johh later. Hard  :-\

Monica

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
adding a post so I can find my way back to this later

S_L

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi S_L

If you want to link to a post and get a notification of replies, simply click on the notify button at the top right of the thread page:

Notify
    Mark unread
    Send this topic
    Print

This means that you get a notification if someone posts something new on it, even though you haven't posted on it.

This stop people 'bumping' up posts without something new being added.

Monica

Offline Sasss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson + Elliott solved
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I finally discovered the grave of Robert Marshall in Cedar Creek Cemetery in North Dumfries, Waterloo County, Ontario. It is possible that he was the first person buried there in 1834, shortly after immigrating to the area (listed as #1 by the Ontario Genealogical Society in Cedar Creek's list). Buried next to him was "Jane, wife of Robert Anderson". She died in 1854. Robert Anderson was also buried in the cemetery, but records were lost due to a fire. He died in 1879 and his gravestone is missing. But suddenly it made sense. Jane Elliott, widow of Robert Marshall, married Robert Anderson, and he buried her next to her first husband. Their granddaughter was named Jane, and their grandson was John Elliott. Jane's Marshall children and her Anderson children were half-brothers and -sisters, which is why the various Anderson/Marshall children called themselves cousins.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Sasss, sounds like you have been working it all out  ;) Interesting that Robert showed as No.1 on the register. Have you checked the dates for the cemetery to confirm when it opened?

Monica