Author Topic: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK  (Read 14609 times)

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
For several years I have searched for the baptism of Edward Woodroffe  c1675.
He was the father of John and Sarah Woodroffe bap at Ousden, Suffolk in 1711 and 1712.
 Edward W married Abigail Hammond in 1709 at St Mary's church in BSE. At the time of marriage he resided in Ousden, she in Gazeley. After the baps I can find nothing of the family until Edward died in 1732.In his will he left the mill to Abigail until she died or remarried, whichever was sooner, when it then passed  to his son John. Edw also left his interests in Southgate Mill to John his son.
Sarah the daughter was left 10 pounds or goods equivalent.
The family ran the Horringer Mill or West Mill as it was otherwise known until the mid 1800s.
Having located Woodroffes at Isleham around 1700 I thought Edw would fit in there but no such luck. Not unless Edward is interchangeable with Edmund? Any assistance appreciated.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Sploshkin,
And welcome.  I'm afraid at this moment I'm unable to help, but I'm extremely interested in your milling connections.  I offer help where I can and have an extensive database on Suffolk's millers (mostly wind, by water & horse too).
I have been tracing most millers back to early 1800s, many to about 1780s and a few even earlier.
I'm very interested to hear about Edward.  I have his offspring at Hornings Heath (Horringer or West Mill) and a Siclemore Road Mill (which I think is the Southgate site).  Was Edward a miller himself or did he have an interest in the mill?
In the meantime all the best in your search.
Windy Miller
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hello windy-miller,
                          "Will of Edward Woodruff  of BSE in the county of Suffolk Miller  --- First I give to Abigail my beloved wife all that my tenement wherein I now do dwell and the windmill called Horringer Mill with all and singular  the appurtenances during the term of her life, she keeping the same in repair"
Interestingly, if you look at the large 1791 map on the landing of the BSE Record Office , you will see Horringer Mill on the north side of Horringer Road but with no house. Whereas, on the south side of the road but about 80 yards nearer Bury is another plot of land with "mill house" ascribed to it. This piece of land is shown on the plan of "lands of the Hon.Thomas Watson 1737/8 "  which refers to 6 acres of land on the north side of the Horringer road. On the south is the mill house ascribed to Widowe Woodroffe. I think her house was a marker as there is no other reference to her. The map of 1791 also shows the South Mill with "Woodroffe" attached, also another mill further south about 1/4 mile also "Woodroffe". These were presumably run by Edwards G/son. Also, still in respect to these  mills, I have a  reference to a mill built by Wm. Thurston miller, in the Southfield of  Bury in 1637. The same document also mentions 1/2 acre of land "whereof a
windmill did lately stand --- lying in the west field of Bury".
Another document of 1618 describes "one windmill lately erected --- in the west fields of Bury".
If you would like any document ref numbers or clarification  I can let you have them.
                         Regards,  Sploshkin.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Sploshkin,

Sorry I did not reply earlier but I've been in the US on a holiday visiting family.  It was warm!

This is ALL very interesting, and ref. numbers would help.

I have a photo of the 1791 ma here (not good quality) and had never notivce "Millhouse", and your right this normally denotes a mill rather than a miller's house (though it could have been a horse-mill?).

Did Edward Woodruff say who got the mill when Abigail died?

Addind this to my db right now, then I'll grab a couple of hours shut eye!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Sploshkin,

I should have re-read your earlier posting!  John inherited the mill off Abigail!

Is your interest in Edward only or Woodroffe/Woodruff in general.  I've notive that there seem to be plenty in east coast USA and some in Suffolk county there.  Perhaps a few of your folk migrated there!

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BTW.

I have a note that Mrs. Woodroofe died 1818/08/09.  Does anyone know if this was Edwards widow?

Windy

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello Windy,
The document references at Bury R O are of Guildhall Feoffment.

H1/5/9,10   1618  Westfield Mill - newly built mill. John Godfrey of Horringer yeoman to Wm Thurston of West Stow, miller. Robert Fent miller.

H1/3/31     1637   Concerning 5 little pieces of land. Exchange between feoffees and Wm Thurston of BSE miller.
 Windmill lately built by Wm Thuston---at his own personal cost and charge in the Southfield of Bury.
 One little piece of land whereof a windmill did lately stand --- lying in the west field.

Edwards wife Abigail Hammond was born at Westley 1684 and was buried St Mary's March 1747. I'm not sure who your 1818 burial refers to. Poss Mary wife of James  1815? I don't have a burial date for James. poss something fishy?
  Some body got shot but I can't remember who.
Until middle of 1900s this particular family do not have appeared to have gone anywhere! Just died out. so, I'm really only interested in finding where Edward came from. Just remembered - one Edward went to Leeds middle 1800s!
 If you need any further info just say. Regards, Sploshkin.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Sploshkin,

This is really interesting and has pushed my understanding if the southfield/ horringer mill back in time considerably.  I feel guilty that I cannot help you locate your Edward!  I'll keep an eye out as I trawel through listings and indexes.

By the way, you are right about Mrs. Woodroffe.  I must have been having a funny turn.  It would have made her 134 years old!!!

Windy

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I have an old Will and Testament of a miller from Bury St Edmunds, John Woodroffe dated 1775 from an original made in 1759.
It mentions the following Woodroffe's Edward son, another John son, Thomas son, James son, Alice Sarah Elizabeth daughter, Isabella daughter, Aliro wife.

Not sure if there is any connection, but the said John Woodroffe in his last will and testament leaves just one shilling to his son Edward due to his 'undutiful towards me'?  His son John he leaves his Windmill set in Common Ground in the Parish Of Saint Mary's, Bury Saint Edmunds.

May be of help.