Author Topic: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK  (Read 14782 times)

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Windy,

Can you resend details to me, I messed up with my mail and deleted by mistake, please resend and I will get back to you.

Bert

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 February 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »
No worries.  It should be winging its way to you right now.

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 February 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Sploshkin & Bert,

I've looked at copies of BStE maps I have and it seems that in 1791 (Thomas Warren cartographer) the Woodroffes had three mills in BStE area.  The Horringer (West Mill) over to the south-west and two mills in the south-east.  All three mills are in Saint Mary's Parish.

These SE mills sit south of St. Mary's Church and on the west-side of the Nowton Road.  The road lay-out has changed dramatically in this area but my best guess is that the northerly of these two mills was near Hardwick Primary School, and the southern mill near Robin Road.  In 1791 both these are listed in the occupation of John Woodroffe.  By 1816 the Hardwick mill was still listed as a Woodroffe mill, but the Robin Road mill in the occupation of Jeremiah Plumb (I'd be interested if Plumb was related to the Woodroffes or did he buy the mill of John W?).

Sploshkin, do you know when John Woodroffe (married to Alice) died?

I'm not sure how much clarity this adds?

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Bert M. and Windy -  Having had my book and wills out I realised that John Woodroffe's will was probated in April 1770 not 1775. He was buried in March 1770 aged 58 years.
The original will of John's father Edward, who was buried in March 1732 has the ref number IC500/I/186 (81). The names of the people mentioned in the deeds /contracts of the mills around Bury in the 1600s are not related to the Woodroffes as far as I can tell. Their surnames do not crop up in relation to that family .
I think  that John W's will was made out in 1759 was because John's son Edward, born 1738  was kicking over his traces after reaching or approaching 21 years of age. His mother Isabella died in 1738, after a year John married Alice Holden. They had at least 9 children.   Whatever son Edwards "undutifullness" was ,his father seems to have disinherited him. John and Alice's son John inherited the mills. I must say I felt quite sorry for Edward.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sploshkin,

That all makes sense.  Wills tended to be made whilst their testators were on their death beds, hence they often contain "weak in body but strong in mind" etc.  The later date probably relates to an attested copy made to prove John's inheritance which usually kicked in at the coming of age, as you said, 21.

I'm very interested in your tantalising reference to other 1600s millers in Bury.  I only have one in my database, plus several from the 1500s and 1700s (I call them my homeless millers as I cannot link them clearly to specific mills!):-

David Umfrey, dec’d (1498)
John Wall, dec’d (1504)
John Sparke, dec’d (1519)
Andrew Williamson (1687)
George Lumley (1741)
James West (1746)

I'd be very interested in these and any other millers you might have come across and any mills they might have been associated with; if you don't mind sharing this info it'd be incredibly helpful.

Cheers,
Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »
PS.
I agree how badly son Edward seems to have been treated!  Not only did he only get 1 shilling, but he had to ask for it!

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Sploshkin, Windy,

(John and Alice's son John inherited the mills. I must say I felt quite sorry for Edward.)

((This is still the Windmill in Horringer yes?))

Thank you both for the very interesting updates. I wish it would explain for me how this will came to be included in a bundle of documents that belonged to Marlow & Co Builders of Bury St Edmunds referring to the sale of properties in and around Bury. One of the directors I believe lived at Horringer Hill House, maybe this is the connection? But this is a whole new search thread I am guessing.

Bert.

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
PS.
I agree how badly son Edward seems to have been treated!  Not only did he only get 1 shilling, but he had to ask for it!

Sploshkin and Windy,

Are we saying Edward was born the same year his mother died?
Maybe if so there were complications with the birth (as was so common then), and John's wife died giving birth, which made John resent his new son, the rest being history, just a guess mind?

Bert.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sploshkin, have you looked at the Woodroffe tree on Ancestry, going back to John W. born BSE abt 1634? If not, it might possibly be helpful. Several people mentioned in your early posting are mentioned. Dates seem correct from your info.
http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/56569070/person/30397752195/facts
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire