Author Topic: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK  (Read 14805 times)

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 November 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I have interest in name Woodroffe, there is info about a Edward Woodroffe b. May 03,1803 in Bury St Edmunds d. April 1870 , I am looking for his parents name , any help appreciated.

Thankyou Mr. Marshall for your info on John Woodroffe, Miller, who died 1775 at Bury St Edmunds.
He was the son of the Edward W  I have been trying to find the baptism of C1680. Nice try though, I do appreciate you trying to help. Are you interested in Woodroffes yourself?
                                  Best wishes.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 23 November 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at Edmund Woodroffe born 1803 BSE this is my brand His son Charles can to Canada ca. 1853
Hi Sploshkin,

I should have re-read your earlier posting!  John inherited the mill off Abigail!

Is your interest in Edward only or Woodroffe/Woodruff in general.  I've notive that there seem to be plenty in east coast USA and some in Suffolk county there.  Perhaps a few of your folk migrated there!

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 23 November 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenmount,

Firstly I need to state that my interest in the Woodruffe/Woodroffe family is limited to their connections with milling, and specifically milling in Suffolk.  They were clearly major millers in the Bury Saint Edmunds area for a LONG time!

Anyway, I have been through the papers before they were digitised and located the following in the Ipswich Journal on 1800/12/20,

""Married.  Lately in London, Mr. James Woodroffe, miller, of Bury, to Miss Barton, of Horsecroft.  ..."

Your Edward appears, for what you say, to have been baptised in 1803 (this does not mean he was born then as some where baptised years later, and it appears that some children were done in a "job lot" too).

However, James may be a good starting point?

It was James' house that was destroyed in the fire in 1801.  James appears to have sold the mill in 1807 as he was moving to London to work in the brandy & spirits trade.

I hope this helps,

Windy

PS If you have any info on the millers I'd be grateful!  :)

PPS I'm a bit dyslexic so if you cant understand what I've written let me know and I'll get Mrs. Windy to check  & correct.

windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glenmount.  Re. Edmund Woodroffe. He was baptised in Bury St Edmunds in 1807 but born in 1803.His name is Edward but  the 1851 census has him down as Edmund.  Other censuses have his name as Edward. He did have a son called Charles for whom I can find no church baptism or birth in civil registration.  Civil Reg.started in 1835, Charles born C 1832/3.
The father of Edward W. was Thomas W born 1749 in Bury St Edmunds. He was a baker. His mother was Jemima Wade. In an earlier posting of mine I said that an Edward Woodroffe had moved to Leeds in the early 1830s, in fact it was Thomas the son of Thomas and Jemima, Edward's brother. Sorry!
I hope this may be of use to you. Sploshkin.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 November 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply, I have not seen his reg paper or bap paper either, thanks for the info.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 03 January 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Sploshskin below has it right,  Edward was interchanged with Edmund the legal name is Edward and I am aware Thos married Jemima 1795 approx, on his marriage cert was John W who was a miller, search the marriage cert for Thos and Jemima on familysearch.org a copy is there and it’s free. If you have more info from Thomas back in time would be great.
Hi Glenmount,

Firstly I need to state that my interest in the Woodruffe/Woodroffe family is limited to their connections with milling, and specifically milling in Suffolk.  They were clearly major millers in the Bury Saint Edmunds area for a LONG time!

Anyway, I have been through the papers before they were digitised and located the following in the Ipswich Journal on 1800/12/20,

""Married.  Lately in London, Mr. James Woodroffe, miller, of Bury, to Miss Barton, of Horsecroft.  ..."

Your Edward appears, for what you say, to have been baptised in 1803 (this does not mean he was born then as some where baptised years later, and it appears that some children were done in a "job lot" too).

However, James may be a good starting point?

It was James' house that was destroyed in the fire in 1801.  James appears to have sold the mill in 1807 as he was moving to London to work in the brandy & spirits trade.

I hope this helps,

Windy

PS If you have any info on the millers I'd be grateful!  :)

PPS I'm a bit dyslexic so if you cant understand what I've written let me know and I'll get Mrs. Windy to check  & correct.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 05 January 19 00:53 GMT (UK) »
windy_miller and sploshkin,
Read my recent post farther Dow, I posted it in wrong place. It talks about the name Edward vs Edmund and other info about a Miller named John Woodroffe who signed marriage cert for Thomas Woodroffe 1794 approx.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:05 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has any background I could cross reference with my notes may be beneficial to all. Let me know.
Rgds
Murray Woodroffe
Toronto Canada
You can search me on   ancestry search.org The info there takes you back to Edward Woodroffe who married Abigail abt 1709. I can send my personal email if I have contact with anyone on WhatsApp, phone number will be supplied, let me know what’s easier on here.

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 10 January 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I sent you an reply to your mail but it looks like it went elsewhere. if you did not get the mail this is the only way. To my knowledge Thomas W. married to Jemima in 1794 is the son of John and Alice W. bap 28 Nov 1748. If you can come up with a Tho W bap 1773 in this area I would be most interested.
It was suggested that on Ancestry there is a family tree for this branch of Woodroffes with Edward and Abigail of 1732 marriage on it .The bap of Edward given as 1666 ish. I don't have Ancestry so am unable to check it BUT the library versions  I have seen have a lot of suggested dates !!
best wishes for the hunt .      Sploshkin