Author Topic: Moncurs of Aberdeen  (Read 9421 times)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moncurs of Aberdeen
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 April 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Did Kate marry William Brownlee a widower in Newcastle 1905.
Ronnie
If this is your family there are lots of super photos and info on the usual site Do take a look
Ronnie

Offline richardw1806

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 April 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Vabbott, Yes, assuming you mean did William Brownlee did marry Kate Moncur in 1905 after his first wife had died.... what pictures are you referring to on what usual site?

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 April 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I was looking on ancestry when I was updating my family tree and searched for your folks.
The wiles tree which someone mentioned earlier to you is a beautiful tree. They have a lovely picture of the headstone of Kate and her husband and many lovely family photos taken in later years which you will be interested in . They are very lucky to know so much about their folks
Take a look on Ancestry yourself. If that's your family then Congratulations I envy you :)
Regards
Ronnie

Still looking for my family in Aberdeen :(

Offline richardw1806

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 April 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Ronnie, Thanks for your message. The Wiles tree you mention, is in fact, mine, so thanks for your kind words. It has taken my brother and me about four years to reach this stage and we've discovered so much about our family in the process, and made links with living relatives in the US, Australia – and Yorkshire! I shot the photo of the headstone you mention recently when up in Newcastle visiting my cousin.

The Aberdeen ancestors have been fascinating to seek out, but we're still stuck in some areas. The Scottish Post Office directories have been a great means of tracking those relatives who were in business. Good luck with your search!

Regards,

Richard

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
What a dummy I am so sorry...............but I really was impressed with your tree so well done.
Perhaps I may look at the directories too. Iam trying to find the deaths of my gg grandparents in Aberdeen Amelia Fyfe (Mackie) and Alexander Fyfe (stonemason) with no success perhaps if I check the directories I can find out when he ceased trading that might narrow the search down a bit.
Its all good fun isn't  :)
Regards
Ronnie

Offline richardw1806

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

This is a great site for the Scottish directories: The Internet Archive https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Ascottishdirectories&sort=-publicdate&page=9

or get to them via the National Library of Scotland http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

I checked out some dates for you. From the 1843-1844 directory for Aberdeen up to the 1851-1852 directory there is an Alexander Fyfe, mason, residing at 37 St. Andrew Street. Could well be him! There are other Fyfes listed as well, possibly other family members?

Have fun!  ;D

Regards

Richard

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 April 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
oh thanks so much.... :)
 all help gratefully received will check them all out  and hopefully update with some good news in the not so distant future
Take Care
Ronnie

Offline PenelopeJanet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello
My Great Great Grandfather was James Moncur a Ships Steward.  I have a photograph of him, and am sure it must be the same James Moncur.  One of his daughters (I am not sure whether she had other siblings) was Jeannie Dingwall Moncur (my Great Grandmother) who married Herbert Wilmot Holland (Newcastle upon Tyne) 07/02/1891 at the age of 21.  My Grandfather was born soon after (hmmm) he was named Herbert Dingwall Holland.  This seems to tie up with the Dingwall's further up your tree.

Offline richardw1806

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 August 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
My Great Great Grandfather was James Moncur a Ships Steward.  I have a photograph of him, and am sure it must be the same James Moncur.  One of his daughters (I am not sure whether she had other siblings) was Jeannie Dingwall Moncur (my Great Grandmother) who married Herbert Wilmot Holland (Newcastle upon Tyne) 07/02/1891 at the age of 21.  My Grandfather was born soon after (hmmm) he was named Herbert Dingwall Holland.  This seems to tie up with the Dingwall's further up your tree.

Hello. Thanks for the message. This is very interesting because James Moncur was my great grandfather. It would be fabulous to see a photograph of him, and any others you may have of the family. Jeannie Dingwall Moncur was my grandmother's sister. She was Kate Moncur, my mother's mother.

We have it that your grandfather, Herbert Dingwall Holland-Ramsay, married Dorothy Courteney and they had three children: Jean Holland-Ramsay, Ian Hugh Holland-Ramsay and Miles Holland-Ramsay. This is as far as we have gone on this branch of the family, but you are apparently part of that! Jeannie Dingwall Moncur married again after Herbert Wilmot Holland's death, to Thomas Ramsay Ramsay, and we are in contact with their grandson, Allan John Heppell Ramsay.

It would be fascinating to learn anything else you may have of our joint families! I can give you permission to view our family tree on Ancestry, if you cannot already see it...

Regards

Richard Wiles