Author Topic: Bernard Ryan. executed 1921  (Read 12300 times)

Offline joannkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Ryan. executed 1921
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 January 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
@dermot my PM service should be working now, so you can drop me a message  :)

Offline trouperstansgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
My mother was one of the "orphaned/fostered" children living at 8 Royal Canal Terrace in 1936. She was committed to an Industrial School from there. Two other children also went to Court with her on the same day - their names were Joan and Anthony Kelly. My mum's name was Mary Philomena Roddy. This ring any bells with anyone?

Offline trouperstansgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 July 16 01:00 BST (UK) »
I have been given a huge file pertaining to the execution of Bernard Ryan and the others. It includes letters of support written to Sarah Ryan before and after the execution. Also letters from Bernard to his mother and press reports. I am happy to share information as it was shared with me. I also have a family connection with Nurse Ryan (as she was known).

Offline joannkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 July 16 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm really interested in seeing the file. Is it possible for you to scan and upload it? Thanks Joann

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 July 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps its under Pension applications just enter Bernard Ryan here says he was adopted son of Anne Ryan and born 1901 also mentions Thomas Bryan and Patrick Doyle executed for same incident.
http://mspcsearch.militaryarchives.ie/detail.aspx

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 July 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Daughter Kate may have married John McDonagh 1st July 1919 Dn North
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/7564cb6465126

Anne and other people like her were wonderful people to take on orphaned children in the days before Social Welfare without proper financial support.
I hope she does'nt lie in an unmarked grave as she deserves her own little memorial to her hard life, God bless her.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 July 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
write up about Bernard Ryan

www.anphoblacht.com/contents/7955

an other article says he lived with his elderly widow mum in Phibsborough Dublin thats in Arrans  Quay

If yo go through one of the search eng. like google, when the box comes up type in search box
Bernard Ryan executed mountjoy prison 1921

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 September 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
Catherine Kate Ryans marriage 1919 giving her father as Joseph Ryan a constable
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09684/5512475

Offline trouperstansgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 September 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
Anne  Ryan did not take in orphaned children; it was her daughter Sarah who did that. They were not orphaned in the sense that we understand - they were unwanted, or seperated from their mothers and then boarded out. A lady in USA was commissioned by the Sisters of Mercy to collate records from these types of homes. She produced lists, photos and records for most of the children who passed through this system. I have met one or two of them. However, the records only show what could be shown.
During my research, I was told of a rumour where someone believed that Bernard Ryan could have been the illegitimate child of Sarah Ryan and that he was passed off as Anne Ryan's child. This may explain the lack of any birth records. I must stress that it was one person's opinion.
I also have a newspaper cutting from a paper in New Zealand where it reports that Sarah Ryan was involved in the abduction of a child which was found hidden at 8 Royal Canal Terrace. Whilst this seems incredible, the paper seems to know quite a bit about her.
So there are quite a few mysteries surrounding the Ryans. The files I have depict them as highly thought of and well-respected in the community. Ann Ryan received many tributes and letters of support from high places and was given very sympathetic press coverage when Bernard was convicted.