Author Topic: Desperately Seeking the Neilsons....  (Read 2410 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately Seeking the Neilsons....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 05 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you
xxxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Hennessey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
I do not have information on the Thomas Neilson that you requested.  However, Falkyrn has identified the family that I would like information about,  i.e. Twins James and Robert Neilson born to Thomas Neilson and Mary Stuart on September 23, 1940 in Dalserf, Scotland. I have hit a brick wall when it comes to learning who Thomas' and Mary's parents are.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
I assume that you mean 1840 not 1940?

They are at Gowan Glen, Larkhall, Dalserf in 1841: Thomas Neilson, 30, carter; Mary, 30; Thomas, 6; John, 4; William, 2; James and Robert, 8 months. All except Thomas born in Lanarkshire.

In 1851 they are in Westquarter, Glassford: Mary Neilson, wife, 39, weaver's wife; Thomas, son, 16, hand loom weaver; William, 12, hand loom weaver; James and Robert, 10; Janet, 7; Isabella, 5. All born in Dalserf except Thomas and William, who were born in Kirkintilloch.

No listing of Thomas with the family in 1851, but also in Westquarter village are Thomas Neilson, 40, hand loom weaver; wife Christian, 40; and stepdaughters Margaret, Christian, Bethia and Janet Ballantine. This Thomas doesn't quite fit the one in 1841, because he was born in Glassford, which is in Lanarkshire, but I have so far failed to find any record of a marriage or of the baptisms of the Ballantine girls, and I am wondering if perhaps Mary's husband has deserted her and set up home with Christian instead?

The 1861 census has yet to be transcribed by FreeCEN, but if I were you I think my next step would be to look for Mary in the 1861 census, to see whether she is with Thomas and, if not, how she is described (wife or widow?). However I don't see a death of a Mary Neilson, other surname Stuart, in the SP index, so she could have emigrated or died between 1851 and 1854.

I don't see a likely baptism of Mary Stuart in Dalserf around 1811/1812, however.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hennessey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  You are correct it should read 1840.  The information is great and I will follow your advise.