Author Topic: Isaac Wolfsdorf b.c.1874  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Wolfsdorf b.c.1874
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatters

I'm needing help again please in ref: to Isaac Wolfsdorf .
 The one I'm trying to follow married Elsie May Osborne in 1908 Whatcom County Washington giving his age as 27, ( Elsie 20 which was correct) born Russia, father Louis, mother Rachel Barns but I believe he was born earlier in 1874.
Elsie died in 1912 in Pasadena, buried Mountain View Altadena, Los Angeles and in her will are statements from her husband Isaac  of 'San Francisco'.
Fast forward to 26 Feb. 1913 and I find an  Isaac Wolfsdorf marrying a Mary Tesler in Alameda but is he the same one? I've been unable to find details.
I then find a Mary Tesler/Freeman b. 1 Jan 1886 father Tesler dying on 11 August 1944 San Francisco.

Back to Isaac. 1908 U.S Naturalization Records dec. of intention -Isaac Wolfsdorf b. 1 Jan 1874 Warsaw/Russia aged 34, Tailor. resides Seattle Washington emigrating from Vancouver ( where Elsie Osborne was from) in 1906.

1925 - Passport App. for Isaac Wolfsdorf  states he was born in Warsaw Poland 1 Jan. 1874, his father is Luis Wolfsdorf. He further states he emigrated from Vancouver to US 1905 and resides 1905-1925 uninterrupted California and Washington and was naturalized San Francisco 1913, occ. Tailor.

Now from 1933 to death in 1944 I have found an Isaac Wolfsdorf living in Turk st, San Francisco with a Rose/Sarah Wolfsdorf, occ. Tailor.
Rose/Sarah appears to be Sarah Rose Wolfsdorf/Weisberg, father Weisberg, who died May 1943 San Francisco, coincidentally her birth date is given as 1 Jan 1886 born Poland.
I cannot find a marriage for Isaac and Sarah.

So! we have Isaac Wolfsdorf b. 1 Jan 1874 Poland/Russia
 Mary Tesler birthdate 1 Jan 1886
Sarah Rose Weisberg birthdate 1 Jan 1886.
The odd one out is Elsie May Osborne who I know was born 30 Sep.1888 England.

My problems that I'd like help with please are-

Is this the same Isaac Wolfsdorf in all circumstances?
Is there a significance to the  1 Jan. birthdate for all of them or just a coincidence?
Mary, Sarah and Isaac all died within a year of each other in San Francisco, coincidence?

Sorry this is so long but I'm really confused and would appreciate some fresh eyes and opinions,

Thanks
Chooch.

Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Wolfsdorf b.c.1874
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
1913 Marriage:
"Married by" James G Quinn J.P. Oakland
According to internet searches, he was a Justice of the Peace in Oakland.

Have you seen the immigration list for an Isaac and Sarah Wolfsdorf?
Port of departure Cherbourg, France.  Arrival: New York, 11 September 1931, Ship Berengaria
Isaac, age 37, married, naturalized Superior Court San Francisco May 13, 1913; address in U.S. 1481 Eddy St, SF
Sarah, age 45, married, naturalized District Court Detroit Mich "-do- 3 Jan? 1913".  Same address as above.
3-Jan crossed out and Marr. added above

Kansas City, Missouri City Directory, 1918
Isaac Wolfsdorf tailor Sam Lewtowitz resides Maryland Hotel

WWI Draft Reg Card
Isaac Wolfsdorf, Naturalized Citizen, present address Okmulgee County, Oklahoma.
Born Jan 1 1874.  Present occupation: Tailor(?).  Nearest relative: Louis? Kolosky.
April 12, 1918
There is a little more information on the card, but it is difficult to read, and I didn't want to guess at the details.

Florida Passenger List
Arriving Key West, Florida on 27 Feb 1922 on board the Governor Cobb.
Isaac Wolfsdorf; age 48; Married; he was naturalized; address in U.S - Jacksonville, Florida
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
I think the January 1 birthdays may have been a matter of them not knowing their birthdate and being given one.  See, for example - http://www.genealogyblog.com/?p=67

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
I'm needing help again please in ref: to Isaac Wolfsdorf .
 The one I'm trying to follow married Elsie May Osborne in 1908 Whatcom County Washington giving his age as 27, ( Elsie 20 which was correct) born Russia, father Louis, mother Rachel Barns but I believe he was born earlier in 1874.
Elsie died in 1912 in Pasadena, buried Mountain View Altadena, Los Angeles and in her will are statements from her husband Isaac  of 'San Francisco'.

U.S. Passport Application issued 1925
States that Isaac Wolfsdorf was born January 1, 1874, Warsaw, Poland.  His father was Luis.  Isaac immigrated from Vancouver in 1905 and was naturalized on May 6, 1913, San Francisco.

Port of departure Cherbourg, France.  Arrival: New York, 11 September 1931, Ship Berengaria
Isaac, age 37, married, naturalized Superior Court San Francisco May 13, 1913; address in U.S. 1481 Eddy St, SF
Sarah, age 45, married, naturalized District Court Detroit Mich "-do- 3 Jan? 1913".  Same address as above.
3-Jan crossed out and Marr. added above

It appears that "your" Isaac was the same person who married Sarah/Rose.

Have you been able to find Isaac on the 1920 census?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have obituaries for these people, the San Francisco library will do free look-ups - http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000049301

The WWI draft registration card can be seen here - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZD1-96R

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Oakland newspaper "writeup" for Mary and Isaac?

February 26, 1913, marriage license issued for:
"Isaac 'Walfsdorf', 35, and Mary Tesler, 28, both of Denver."

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa and Shellyesq

Thank you both for your time and efforts.
If this is the same Isaac he sure got about, just wish I could find and see marriage records to see what he stated on them.
I haven't found Isaac in 1910 or 1920 but still looking.
In 1940 his age is given as 66 (1874) Sarah 56 (1884) which would be about right, don't know about the 37 in 1931 maybe should have been 57?
Maybe the San Francisco library would be a good place to contact, thank you.

Just noticed on his Dec. of Intention Naturalization record he gave his last foreign residence as London, England where his first wife Elsie was born and left for Vancouver in 1905.
Just coincidentally there is a marriage in London for Isaac Wolfsdorf and a Sarah 'Luis' in Jan. 1895. They had a son Louis/Lewis born June 1895 London.
In 1911 London census Sarah 38 Tailoress b. Poland/Russia has been married 16 years, 3 children Louis 15, Aby ( Abraham 12) and Benjy (Benjamin 10) one other had died all born London area, (but can't find them in 1901) and although Sarah says she's married no sign of a husband.

Louis entered El Paso Texas 1929 via Mexico, naturalized 1935, leaving a wife ( married 1921) in London, he died El Paso 1958.

Jump to 19 Jan. 1906 Isaac Wolfsdorf 35, marr., occ Tailor leaves Liverpool England for Halifax on board the 'Parisian' destination Seattle, passage paid by ( sis in law).
Well if this is the same man he's full of Porkies as he stated on his marriage record to Elsie Osborne in 1908 it was his 1st marriage all the while he had a wife and family back in London.

I do think this is the same Isaac in all cases, too many coincidences, my goodness what a can of worms I seem to have opened.

Many thanks again to you both,
Chooch.
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

From San Diego, CA city directories:

Wolfsdorf, Isaac, tailor Max Kowsky, resides 723 11th

Wolfsdorf, Isaac, 2nd hand goods 431 F, resides Golden West Hotel

Wolfsdorf, Isaac, 2nd hand goods, resides 301 F

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
On his 1918 WW1 Draft Reg, he gives his nearest relative as his employer, and not the wife Mary he seems to have married in 1913. Perhaps they went their separate ways?

All the signatures on the available documents appear to be the same so looks like the same man as far as that goes. Did you see the picture on the back of the passport app? (click forward one page)

If you could  find the original parish record for the marriage of the Isaac Wolfsdorf to Sarah in England, you should have another signature to compare to the ones in the US records.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada