Author Topic: Hendry / McIntyre / Murchie / McBride (Arran)  (Read 11330 times)

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hendry / McIntyre / Murchie / McBride (Arran)
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
I have been doing fairly extensive - though in some ways fruitless - research on my Arran roots and have refocused on this after a visit to the island yesterday.

My 2nd great grandfather Peter Donald Hendry (1858-1929) was born in Sliddery. His father was a seaman named Archibald Hendry (c1817-1865), and his mother Margaret McIntyre (c1818-1900). Both were born in Kilmory Parish. There could be others of the same name of course, but I'm fairly sure their marriage is the one given as 13th January 1845.

Archibald Hendry's father was Malcolm Hendry, a farmer. His mother was Elizabeth Murchie. Those names come from his death record and tie up to OPR birth records. Both appear to have died before 1855 and neither seem to appear in the 1841 or 1851 censuses. There is a record of Elizabeth Murchie being born to Donald Murchie and Isabel Cook on Sept 4th 1794 in Kilmory Parish. Malcolm and Elizabeth appear to have married on March 5th 1815 though the name given for Elizabeth is Murphy - if this is correct. The place name on the marriage record from 1815 is given as Penrioch. However, very close by to Penrioch (which is behind Pirnmill) is a wee cemetery which has the grave of *a* Malcolm and Elizabeth Hendry, though the date of birth for Elizabeth does not tie up with the 1794 one as it would be nearer 1785 to fit with an age at death (in 1838) of 53. The children listed on the headstone may fit as one was not named at baptism (perhaps indicating the child was not going to live?) while another does tie up to a child my 4th great grandparents seemed to have had. But this is speculative.

The family of Archibald Hendry moved off the island at some point prior to the 1861 census, by which point they ended up living in Ardrossan where he died a few years later. Peter's older brother Malcolm (1854-1894) was born in Lamlash though there is no official record of this - the place of birth appears in the 1891 census.

I think the 1851 census shows Margaret living with the two oldest children at Lochend, Lochranza while Archibald was at sea. If Malcolm was born in Lamlash in 1854, the family may have moved to the east. Peter's birth at Sliddery seems to be because Archibald was away at the time (backed up by him not reporting it, Margaret did instead - with his name given as Donald Hendry rather than Peter Donald Hendry - I assume the Peter was added later, maybe once Archibald returned!) and instead he was born at the farm of the McIntyres, Margaret's parents. It would seem that Margaret's brother John (c1818-1906) was living at a farm called Craigview in 1901.

The McIntyres as noted above were from Sliddery. They are on the 1841 census with farmer Donald (c1776/1781 -<1851) and wife Mary McBride (c1784-1874) shown and a number of their children. In 1851 Mary is shown as a widow and being the farmer of 11 acres at Sliddery. Son John married Mary Stewart a few months later. I'd assume he inherited Craigview from his mother unless he obtained another farm nearby.

Mary McBride was born in Kilbride parish. Her father was farmer Peter McBride and mother Mary McKinnon.

I suppose the purpose of this thread is to see if anyone reading has any links to these families. Very common names on the island though, it would seem.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hendry / McIntyre / Murchie / McBride (Arran)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I am a MacIntyre myself. They lived on the Holy Isle for a couple of generations. My gr grandfather x2 was John 1828 and died in 1904 on the Holy Isle. He was born at Inverrary and was married to Janet Taylor. I am related via his son John B 1867 D 1948. My grandfather John was B 1902 in Lamlash and died 1987 in Tompkins, Saskatchewan, Canada.
This help?

Marc

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I am a MacIntyre myself. They lived on the Holy Isle for a couple of generations. My gr grandfather x2 was John 1828 and died in 1904 on the Holy Isle. He was born at Inverrary and was married to Janet Taylor. I am related via his son John B 1867 D 1948. My grandfather John was B 1902 in Lamlash and died 1987 in Tompkins, Saskatchewan, Canada.
This help?

Marc

Thanks for the response Marc,

it would be interesting to know where they were before Holy Isle, I don't know how widespread McIntyre / Macintyres were at that time.

HB

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
I do know they came from the Campbelltown area in Argyll. In fact my gr grandfather who came to Canada in 1910 or so,  returned to Scotland and died there in 1948 and is buried in Auchencairn I believe. Did you by chance visit the museum on Arran? They have quite a bit about the family and have the family bible also which has some useful info. They were kind enough to copy the info and send it to me here in Canada.
Now if you go to this site: http://www.holyisland.org/  The home the family lived in is now the monks headquarters and they do have some pics of the house as it stood.  John McIntyre B 1828 parents names were James B 1790 D 1843 Argyll and his wife's name was Catherine Currie B 1797 D 1860 born in Argyll also. I assume Dunoon and Kilmoon mean something to you also. There is a distant relative who had been able to get quite a bit of info about the family in Argyll actually and I have reached out to her as I want some more info from her. If you look up my handle flyderaght on the Scottish board for Bute, I had started a thread awhile back on the McIntyres on Arran. I have connected with a couple of cousins on here. One is in Australia and the other in England. The picture is on Goat Fell taken when Victoria was having her Diamond Jubilee and they lit the signal fires throughout the UK. He is the gentleman sitting down with the white beard and cane.

Marc

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 June 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
I do know they came from the Campbelltown area in Argyll. In fact my gr grandfather who came to Canada in 1910 or so,  returned to Scotland and died there in 1948 and is buried in Auchencairn I believe. Did you by chance visit the museum on Arran? They have quite a bit about the family and have the family bible also which has some useful info. They were kind enough to copy the info and send it to me here in Canada.
Now if you go to this site: http://www.holyisland.org/  The home the family lived in is now the monks headquarters and they do have some pics of the house as it stood.  John McIntyre B 1828 parents names were James B 1790 D 1843 Argyll and his wife's name was Catherine Currie B 1797 D 1860 born in Argyll also. I assume Dunoon and Kilmoon mean something to you also. There is a distant relative who had been able to get quite a bit of info about the family in Argyll actually and I have reached out to her as I want some more info from her. If you look up my handle flyderaght on the Scottish board for Bute, I had started a thread awhile back on the McIntyres on Arran. I have connected with a couple of cousins on here. One is in Australia and the other in England. The picture is on Goat Fell taken when Victoria was having her Diamond Jubilee and they lit the signal fires throughout the UK. He is the gentleman sitting down with the white beard and cane.

Marc

It would seem on the face of it that it might be different families, by the 19th Century anyway. My McIntyres were farmers in Sliddery. It's frustrating that the records on Arran are so patchy. It's an island I know very well but some of the specifics here seem elusive. It's a shame my own connections moved off the island c1860, it's so close to the start of the census period that there's only sketchy evidence left and as my 3rd great grandfather was only a baby when they left and his own father was a sailor, even the 1841 and 1851 censuses are bordering on unhelpful.

I have been to the Arran museum, but not for about a decade. I'll try and pop in next time I'm over. I've a feeling I have seen your thread before as it definitely rings a bell what you say about the monks.

It's not impossible that Donald McIntyre (1781-?) had a brother or cousin James of a reasonably similar age but finding evidence of this could be a long shot.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 June 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
There is probably a connection somewhere, but it is distant. If I can get the info from Jackie, I will pass it on and maybe it will be of some use. There quite a number of McIntyres who came from the Sliddery area that came to Canada. I would be looking in Nova Scotia, Cape breton and even here in Ontario.

Marc

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 June 14 04:27 BST (UK) »
There is probably a connection somewhere, but it is distant. If I can get the info from Jackie, I will pass it on and maybe it will be of some use. There quite a number of McIntyres who came from the Sliddery area that came to Canada. I would be looking in Nova Scotia, Cape breton and even here in Ontario.

Marc

That would be great Marc, any further help / info is of interest and useful.

Offline Jude Hendry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marc,
Noted your most interesting post was 2014.. but just came across it...
Re: Peter Donald Hendry ...from Sliddery, Arran...think he was my great grandfather ...he ran coals to Arran from Glasgow ..wee boat like 'The Maggie' ....which took them then to Glasgow....

Offline HistoryBoy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marc,
Noted your most interesting post was 2014.. but just came across it...
Re: Peter Donald Hendry ...from Sliddery, Arran...think he was my great grandfather ...he ran coals to Arran from Glasgow ..wee boat like 'The Maggie' ....which took them then to Glasgow....

Hello Jude - it was my post initially. I have recently been in touch with your sister after I saw a post she made on another site.

feel free to email me on jamiewire at btinternet dot com