Author Topic: Hartwood Asylum, Shotts, Lanarkshire  (Read 10191 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hartwood Asylum, Shotts, Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 September 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
I very much doubt that there was a crematorium but as far as I know there was a burial ground, the records of it are with North Lanarkshire Council.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 June 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
I'm a little late to this conversation. My great-grandfather (William Haney) of Bellshill died at Hartwood of cerebral thrombosis in 1940. Where do l look up where he, and other ancestors are buried - as GeriK64 seems to have done? I have contacted North Lanarkshire about who all are buried in a particular plot  - not all are listed on the stone, if there is one.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 July 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my Mum's cousin, Jean Brown who was in Hartwood Asylum. Though we have now traced the records, having recently been moved, we can't get anywhere as we can't trace her birth though my Mum guesses it was between 1920-1930 in Lanarkshire (Airdrie) or even Glasgow..
We only know her father was my Great Uncle - William Brown DOB 19.12.1895 of Chapel St, Airdrie though we don't know Jean's mother though suspect it was William's first wife who again we can't find in the online records at SP. (2nd wife Elizabeth Rose Smith who was not Jean's mother).
Seem to have still mate. Any ideas of how to progress anyone?

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 July 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Thumbelina,

Do you have William's death record or the records for either of his marriages? His death certificate would confirm the name of his first wife who you have indicated may be the mother of the person you are trying to chase.

Do you know birthplaces for any other children William may have had?  It would indicate whether the family moved around or not and would narrow down the searching, as Brown is a very common name.  My family are Smiths, so I know how it feels to 'lose' people.

Bear in mind too, that if you are looking for people born in the 1920s and 1930s, they may still be living, so you may be limited in what personal information can be shared about them publicly on Rootschat.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 July 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
I'm a little late to this conversation. My great-grandfather (William Haney) of Bellshill died at Hartwood of cerebral thrombosis in 1940. Where do l look up where he, and other ancestors are buried - as GeriK64 seems to have done? I have contacted North Lanarkshire about who all are buried in a particular plot  - not all are listed on the stone, if there is one.

Hi SarahU

Some of the records have been digitised at the Motherwell Heritage Centre [contact details here: https://culturenl.co.uk/museums/visiting-us/north-lanarkshire-heritage-centre/ ].  I don't know if they will do 'lookups' if you can't go in person, but might be worth giving them a call.  I was able to visit and found a load of my relations as the digital records allowed me to search by name across a number of burial places.

Even if he died at Hartwood, your great grandfather could be buried in any of a number of places, as there a a lot of cemeteries and churchyard around Bellshill.  uried in My 3 x great GF died in 1911 at Hartwood, but was buried in New Stevenson, which is where his wife had been buried in 1908.

I think the problem is that the main 'cemeteries' part of the council will hold some records, but these might not be electronic and will allow a search by cemetery or a specific plot, but not by name across more than one location.

If you do call MHC, let us know how you get on!

Best wishe

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 July 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I now have William's death - 06.03.1967 at Mavisband St.
His first marriage was to Sarah Rose on 09.05.1919 at The Olive Hall, Airdrie. We guess she is Jean Brown's mother as the dates work. It is William and her daughter Jean Brown's records we are trying to find but need Jean's birth/death details in order to do so and they are proving elusive.
I don't know when William and Sarah divorced (or how to find that) but his 2nd marriage shows him as divorced.
His 2nd marriage was to Elizabeth Rose Smith 06.10.1939 ; we understand they didn't have children. Indeed we don't know if he had other children with Sarah but note her parents are shown as Ann Code and Richard Rose on the marriage cert. Phoebe Rose is a Witness (Sarah's sister?)
I can't find Ann's mother either even though the name is rare; that might have been Jean/Jane as link to Jean due to naming traditions. I seem to be unable to progress any further.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 July 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
These look like some reference to the divorce for William Brown and Sarah Rose:

Reference   CS257/3628
Title   (Poor) William Brown v Sarah Rose or Brown: Divorce
Date   1934
Access status This record is Closed.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 July 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Do you know for certain that William and Sarah's daughter Jean is deceased?

There is no way to confirm her birth details online as her birth is outside of the period you can view the image online. You can only review the index on SP as you have I am sure. However, given how common the name is, it will be neigh on impossible to begin to guess which might be her birth entry. The only way to confirm her details would be to check in person at one of the main genealogy centres.

Mother's maiden name was included in the death indexes from 1974. I cannot easily see anything coming up her after this time either  :-\

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 July 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Sarah Rose's parents, Richard and Ann, were both born in England it seems. The marriage may also in England. Sarah's birth cert should include date and place of parents' marriage. If Sarah's mum Annie died in Scotland, you might be able to confirm her mother's name from her death reg.

From 1901:

Richard Rose 32 traveller showman b. England
Annie Rose 31 b. England
William Rose 5 b. Blantyre
Sarah Rose 3 b. Fauldhouse
Phoebe Rose 2 b. Fauldhouse
Edward Rose 9 Months b. Airdrie

Address: Steels Show Ground Caravan, Coatbridge

Monica