Author Topic: Help with baptisms in Brimington before 1813  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with baptisms in Brimington before 1813
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on why i have not been able to find the baptisms of two of my ancestors in Brimington. They were both born before 1813 but i have searched for years without any trace of them. The first is Thomas Clarke born circa 1810 who's parents where Joseph and Jane (i know this from Thomas marriage certificate). The second one is Amy Bacon who was born circa 1812. I have searched though St Mary's Church in Chesterfield which i would presume was the church used for that area before the baptisms at Brimington.
Where there still baptisms at Brimington before this time because i have not been able to find them.
Thomas Clarkes parents did baptize his brothers and sisters after 1813 at Brimington church.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Rich

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with baptisms in Brimington before 1813
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
Apparently this has been asked before and someone who has the Brimington Parish Registers CD (which starts 1813) said it's says on the back that the earlier records have not survived.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
I believe that St Michael's church in Brimington was licenced for baptisms and burials from some point in the 18th Century but all the records prior to 1813 are no longer in existence. I also believe (but haven't checked myself yet) that the Bishops transcripts of baptisms and burials for Brimington held at Litchfield go back to 1800. I hope this is true as I'd like to make the trip one day to have a look at them.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Gibbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with a 'Brimington' Family query please. I have for certain the following.... Job Allen born Brimington @1812 (died August 1882 aged 70) on his marriage record in 1834 witnesses were SABINA ALLEN and ROBERT ALLEN. am trying to find Job's parents and the relationship to Sabina and Robert. Am ASSUMING brother and Sister but I can't be sure. Job was also witness to Sabin'a marriage 4 years later so I know they will be related. Sabina's parents Joseph and Mary (very topical) but I am looking to find out about Job...any help hugely appreciated! Cheers Karen

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
I can't help with the birth record for Job but it does seem probable that Job's parents were Joseph & Mary. There is a Robert Allen born about 1811 in the 1841 Census in Brimington so it likely that both Job and Robert were sons born in Brimington before the earliest surviving records for the parish.
Amongst the record collections on FindMyPast there are the 'Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860' and a record for a will made in 1826 by a Joseph Allen of Brimington. One of the executors at probate is Joseph's widow Mary. The will does not name the children as they are not of age but it does name Joseph's brother Robert and, unusually, his father, also a Robert who died in 1809. Worth a look.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Gibbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such a prompt response.....it does seem probable that is the case but it would be nice to find a baptism record, I couldn't work out from the thread if the Brimington records started at 1813 or previous ones were lost/destroyed. The documents on ancestry do show that 1813 is BOOK 1, so I wondered what Brimington people did before this date. I saw there was a Chesterfield birth for a Job Allen to a Robert and Elizabeth Allen in Nov 1813 but since Brimington Chalpery was up and running by this date I discounted it. Will look at the probate you suggest.! Thanks again

Offline Gibbs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Where do I find the Will ???

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
If you search within the A-Z of records for 'Staffordshire' you will find the title 'Dioceses of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate'. Select this title and search for Joseph Allen with a date of 1826.
Two records come up for 1826, the first being the entry in the index of wills and the second being the application for probate will itself. Unfortunately the second entry appears to show the parish as 'Birmingham, Warwickshire' rather than 'Brimington, Derbyshire', ignore this error. Check out the image.

Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 November 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
This may or may not be of help to anyone.  Whilst it would appear that parish registers prior to 1813 for Brimington are lost, the Bishop's Transcripts, held at Lichfield Record Office (until the move to Stafford in January 2018) start a little earlier.

Baptisms - 1800-1871
Marriages - 1800-1851
Burials - 1800-1871

However, all entries for 1857 are missing.

Hope this helps  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY