Author Topic: The Dowdle family from Westport, Mayo  (Read 13142 times)

Offline John G Haslam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Dowdle family from Westport, Mayo
« on: Thursday 17 April 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
My G G Grandfather is William Dowdle, born around 1845 in Westport.  William's father may have been called Henry Dowdle, but I'm not sure of this.  William first shows on the census records in 1861, living in Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester.  It says he is 19, so his birth date may be earlier.  William is living with his Uncle, John Dowdle 69 and his sister Catherine Dowdle 25.  He may have travelled to England with his uncle.

William later married Catherine Poland in Manchester in 1866.  I am wondering if anybody has researched this family in Westport.  I have lots of detail of their lives in Manchester, but I'm not sure how to progress with my search in Ireland.

Thanks for reading this. :)
Aspinwall (Barton), Banks (Standish), Birmingham (Manchester and Ireland), Broardman (Bolton), Cunningham (Manchester and Ireland), Dowdle (Manchester and Ireland), Farnworth (Bolton), Finch (Wigan), Frith (Standish), Grundy (Bolton), Haslam (Bolton), Humphrey (Bolton), Nuttall (Bolton), Ogden (Barton), Pemberton (Manchester), Pepper (Barton), Poland (Manchester), Rigby (Bolton and Salford), Smethurst (Bolton), Walkden (Bolton), Walsh (Bolton), Warmsley (Manchester), Willcock (Barton), Winnard.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Dowdle family from Westport, Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

As there is some uncertainty about his fathers name - it would be best if you obtained a copy of the 1866 marriage cert to confirm it first.

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk show it as a Registrar attended/Registry Office marriage so it can't be looked up in parish records - you would have to buy a copy
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline John G Haslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 April 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I was told by a family member that he was called Henry, but I'm not sure where this information came from.  He did call his first son William Henry, but I probably do need to buy the certificate and be sure.

Thanks again for your help  :)
Aspinwall (Barton), Banks (Standish), Birmingham (Manchester and Ireland), Broardman (Bolton), Cunningham (Manchester and Ireland), Dowdle (Manchester and Ireland), Farnworth (Bolton), Finch (Wigan), Frith (Standish), Grundy (Bolton), Haslam (Bolton), Humphrey (Bolton), Nuttall (Bolton), Ogden (Barton), Pemberton (Manchester), Pepper (Barton), Poland (Manchester), Rigby (Bolton and Salford), Smethurst (Bolton), Walkden (Bolton), Walsh (Bolton), Warmsley (Manchester), Willcock (Barton), Winnard.

Offline Brian4Arsenal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 September 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
John,
Dowdle, Westport and Chorlton are all quite familiar to me. I registered with this website in order to respond to you. My GGGGran was Patrick H. Dowdle, born Co. Mayo, married Ann Hughes in Westport Jan 1850, fathered 3 boys (John abt 1850 Chorlton upon Medlock, Patrick Henry 1852 Chorlton upon Medlock, William 1855 "Manchester"), appears to have passed away at an early age as he's buried back in Westport abt 1858. Ann and the boys eventually find their way to Chicago, IL and appear in city directories in early/mid 1860's. The 3 sons are fairly well mapped on this side of the pond….but the Manchester story line is completely unknown to me. I am aware of at least a few other Dowdle's in Manchester circa 1850/60 but have yet to make any connections.

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
John, I registered with this website so I could respond to you.  My GG Grandfather Patrick H Dowdle married my GG Grandmother, Ann Hughes, in Westport, Co. Mayo on Jan. 27, 1850.  They had 3 boys - John, Patrick, and William - all born in Chorlton-upon-Medlock.  I have birth records from Chorlton on the 3 boys.  I have a birth record on John that lists my GG Grandparents as residing at 18 Rathbone St., Chorlton-upon-Medlock in 1851.  Patrick H Dowdle died young, and is married in Westport, Co. Mayo.  Ann and the boys traveled to Chicago, and I have been able to track them to some degree.  I have been seeking more information on their lives in England and more information about Patrick.  I don't know when he was born - he died around 1858. 

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
John, I have a Sarah Dowdle, daughter of Honor Dowdle and Saran Dunban (or Dunbar) baptized in Westport on 7-6-1853 and two 1851 baptisms:  Henry, son of Henry Dowdle and Sarah Durbar (March 7) and Jane, daughter of Pat Dowdle and Mary Geraghty (June 27).  I have a feeling Sarah Durbar might be Dunbar if Honor Dowdle died and Sarah re-married Henry.  I got these on freepages.genealogy.rootsweb
Thanks for reading all this.  Hope it helps.

Offline John G Haslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian4Arsenal and James,

I think there is a good chance that Patrick H Dowdle is a relative of my William Dowdle, perhaps a brother or Uncle.  They seem to pass on the name Henry as a middle name.  Henry son of Henry must be William's brother.  This is the first record I have seen of Henry Dowdle in Westport and is a great help for my research so thank you so much for this.

William Dowdle married Catherine Poland in 1866 in Chorlton (St Augustine Chapel, Granby Row) is the likely venue.  They had 10 children:

Ellen Dowdle:  1867-1870, age 2 years.
Annie Dowdle:  1869-1937, age 67 years.
WILLIAM HENRY DOWDLE:  1872-1908, age 37 years.
Ellen Dowdle:  1874-1915, age 41 years.
Peter Dowdle:  1876-1940, age 63 years.
John Dowdle:  1878-1879, age 5 months.
John Joseph Dowdle:  1880-1906, age 26 years.
Catherine Dowdle:  1882-1884, age 15 months.
Catherine Mary Dowdle:  1885-1966, age 81 years.
James Dowdle:  1888-1890, age 2 years.

Peter Dowdle was a civilian casualty of the Manchester Christmas Blitz.  Peter was in the Brunswick Inn, Temple Street, on the evening of the 23rd December, when the air raid took place.  His death is registered in Manchester (Q4, volume 8d, page 189).

Thank you both for your help with this family.

Best Wishes,

John  :) 

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
I feel like I have gotten closer in the last 2 days to my GG Grandfather Patrick H Dowdle.  If William is a brother or uncle, that is a connection I was unaware of.  I remember seeing something about Peter Dowdle in my research as well.  I will keep digging and sharing; please do the same.  I'm especially interested in Patrick's DOB and anything that happened in Manchester with other Dowdles.

Offline John G Haslam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello James,

I think my William Dowdle is more likely to be a nephew of Patrick H Dowdle due to the age difference.  However, I have also found a record of a William Dowdle living at Fair Green, Westport from the Griffith Valuation which was taken in 1855.  William is the head of the household and, therefore, is more likely to be a suitable age to be Patrick's Brother and William's Uncle.

I plan to do some more work on this family during the winter, and I will post any findings on this thread.  It would be good to link the relationships of the Dowdle family members.

Best Wishes,

John  :)