Author Topic: Re: Brandywell part of Derry  (Read 2522 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brandywell part of Derry
« on: Friday 18 April 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me who lived in the Brandywell area of Derry/Londonderry.

My great aunt Annie Farren worked in a sweetie shop in the Brandywell.  I believe the shop might of been at 68 Long Tower Street, Derry, BT48 6QQ.  Annie died in April 1969.  I would love to be able to track down a photo of her and the shop etc as no one in the family has any photos of her.

Thank you very much for all your help it is very much appreciated

Kieran

Offline Catherine Connor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you the boy looking paddy farrens relations? My grandad was paddy farren originally from Claudy

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes Brandwell area is in Derry..if you check the postcode on the Northern Irish map, it will show you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am the boy looking paddy farrens relations.

Offline Mary Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieran

I often bought sweets in your Gt Aunt’s Shop as a child.  We called it “Wee Annie’s”.  Unfortunately, since the redevelopment of the city in the 1970’s, it’s no longer there.  It would have been located just opposite the entrance to the Long Tower RC Church and it’s a small car park now.

I’ve attempted to attach a photo of Long Tower Street as it have been then.  Annie, like so many others, just operated the shop out of the front room of her house!  If you can see the picture, it’s the house on the far corner opposite the tall lamppost on the left - you can just sea bit of the gable end of it!

Your post brought back happy memories!  Thanks. 😊

Mary