Author Topic: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire  (Read 10845 times)

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm planning to a visit to the Archives Centre in Carmarthen on Fri.  Will report back any relevant findings.

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nigel

Did you get the information regards Richard(s) marriages in Carmarthen? I am not sure it got through to you because I've seemed to have lost the record of my past contacts.

I have a John Richard(s) born about 1780 in Llansawel in the 1841,51 and 61 censuses. Living at Blaengofuarth Llansawell in each census. Is there a connection with our William Richard?

Cheers! 

Brian

Offline sunnybower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Just seen your post on Davies in Talley and wondered if my family were connected.

I have a William Davies born 1819 Llangeler married a Jane Davies born 1821 in Talley. They married in Dowlais in 1842. (got certificate)

Jane Davies was also nee Davies. Her father was called Thomas Davies, a butcher. born I would guess c1895.and probably in Talley. I have found in my research many butchers were also farmers.

I think that Jane was living in Gelligaer Parish as a servant at the time of her marriage. Ive tried to find both William and Jane in 1841 with no luck.

Regards

Brian
Reseaching own family history<br />DAVIES in Glamorgan/Carmarthenshire/Workington (back to 1797)<br />KAY in Bolton/Wigan/Blackpool (back to 1766)<br />CROOME in Almondsbury (back to 1830)<br />HILL in Bedfordshire ( 1921 so far)<br />GREENWOOD in Rishton and Accrington.(Back to 1785)

Offline Mr Rivers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but thought it worthwhile dropping you a line like this - just in case.

I see you are researching a Richards/Davies line, and also a seperate Llangyfelach (nr Swansea) Glamorgan line.  Reading through the thread, I also see mention of Benjamin Richards (not too common a name in Wales) and also of carpentry.  All of these points cause me to consider a connection to my own Richards/Davies research.

I am a direct descendant of David Richards (a carpenter) and Sarah Davies, both born around 1796 OUTSIDE of Glamorganshire (according to the 1841 census),  although I've yet to locate their birthplace and birth entires.  I've also yet to confirm their place of marriage (the IGI throws up a possibility in Myrthyr Tydfil).  Their son who I am descended from was Joseph Richards, born c1838 in Llangyfelach.

Josephs older siblings were HENRY (born c.1826), ELIZABETH, (born c.1826), and JOHN (born c.1830), while his younger brother was BENJAMIN (born c.1840).

I've tracked the family through all the census returns - my own branch heading to the North East of England by 1871 (Durham & Northumberland), and eventually settling in Middlesbrough (then in North Yorkshire, now in Cleveland).

The names Henry, David, John, Joseph and Benjamin appear each generation.

I'm wondering if you've encountered a carpenter called David Richards in your research?  Perhaps linked to a Sarah Davies?  Have you seen any Richards information at all during your Llangyfelach research?

The only record I have of David Richards alive is the 1841 census, where he and his family lived at the YNYSPENLLWCH TINWORKS.  He had passed away by 1851.

Although listed in the census returns as being born in Llangyfelach, I've found no birth records for HENRY (born c.1826), ELIZABETH, (born c.1826), JOHN (born c.1830), JOSEPH (born c.1838) or BENJAMIN  (born c.1840).  Maybe you have transcripts on CD for this area? Or know someone who does?

ANY help or advice greatly appreciated.  It took me 14 years to get this far (my Joseph married a Gypsy in 1871 and went travelling!) and a further 3 years of looking has not got me further.  :-[

Again - ANY help, advice, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Best Regards

Curtis

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 September 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Curtis

My Llangyfelach line are the Watkins and the Johns.  Both families originating in Swansea and worked in the tinplate works and coal mines. 

My Richards family originate in Llansawel Carmarthenshire and were farmers although my ggg grandfather was a miller and (at one time a carpenter).  I've seen no Richards in Llangyfelach but then I would not have been looking for them. 

I can access indexes of the parish records for Llangyfelach if you want and look up the baptisms, marriages and deaths.  Let me know

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline Mr Rivers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 September 06 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel, many thanks for your reply, and for your kind offer of help - that would be great.

I've had someone else look at the Llangyfelach records, and they found no mention of any of the RICHARDS children apparently born there (as per the 1851 census) which has me scratching my head.

You mention Carmarthenshire in your reply, as being the place your Richards came from.

In the 1851 census, my David Richards had passed away, leaving Sarah a widow.  I note though that she puts her place of birth as....Carmarthenshire.

In 1841, when both David and Sarah were both alive, although their children are all listed as being born in Glamorganshire ('YES' in the county box), both parents say they were born outside of Glamorganshire ('NO@ in the county box).  We now know Sarah Davies was born in Carmarthenshire - so DID DAVID RICHARDS ALSO HAIL FROM CARMARTHENSHIRE?

This is a possibilty I've yet to explore.

I don't know what records you have for Carmarthenshire, nor how easy they are to do look-ups, but the logical searches from here would be:

1) Birth of Sarah Davies in Carmarthenshire c.1796 (although I admit this might throw up a number of candidates)

2) Birth of a David Richards in Carmarthenshire c.1796 (although again, I admit this might throw up a number of candidates)

3) Finally, the marriage of Sarah Davies to David Richards prior to 1826 in Carmarthenshire, where both bride and groom could match the age for being born c.1796. from 1) & 2) above.

If you have any such notes, records, access to CDs or Fiche, or know someone who has, or can point me in the direction of a stockist etc - ANY HELP, AS ALWAYS, is genuinely appreciated...

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 September 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
I've checked the marriages for Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire 1813 - 1837, sorry no matches.  Nearest is a William Richards and Sara Davies Jan 1819 Llangynllo parish Cardiganshire.  Could he have been named William David Richards or David William Richards and used the William part.  Use of the middle name as the first name was/is not uncommon.  Just a thought.

Try the family history societies of the other Welsh counties, they will all have marriages on CD by now.

PS do you have their death certificates, may throw up a clue.

Have you checked the Llangyfelach Bishop's Transcripts (BTs)as well as the parish records.  They should contain the same information but they often don't.  An entry for a marriage etc can crop up in one and not the other.  National Library of Wales has all the BTs and parish records for Wales.

Nigel

Offline LLW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 September 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Nigel - I am descended from Ebenezer Richards, youngest(?) son of William Richards, Cwmbyr. He married Margaret Thomas of Coedhirion. I have noted with interest the details included in this thread with regard to William's father, William Richards Melinwaun. Do you have any other details other than those included in this thread which you would be able to share? Diolch.

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 September 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Please advise whether you received my e mail sent 02/09/11

Nigel