Author Topic: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire  (Read 10844 times)

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cymbyr Farm, Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 October 05 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I've looked at the Old Maps as you suggest. Most interesting.

I did not have the information regarding the baptisms at Llansawel and William's occupation as a carpenter.

I have a CD of Carmarthenshire marriages (1754-1812) and this shows a marriage of William Richard, carpenter to Mary Griffith at Llangunnor on 21.12.1798.
In the 1851 census Mary states that she was born in Abergwily and Llangunnor is the adjacent parish, so this seems that this could be their marriage.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I've been to the National Library at Aberystwyth and checked out the parish records.  There is an entry in the Llangunnor record of William Richard, carpenter/Mary Griffith marriage dated as you said.  However there is then a succesion of baptisms to William and Mary Richards when we know they were living either in Llansawel or Talley.   The baptisms clearly are not our William Richards. Even more disconcerting is the fact that I could not find any other reference to any William Richards/Mary marriages in Llangunnor

Also Talley record shows  David son of Benjamin Richards, saddler, Melinwaun and Elizabeth Thomas, servant at Edwinsford

Nigel

best wishes

Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for the information. It seems that the William Richard who married in Llangunnor is not the right one. Who do you think is our William?

Benjamin Richards is described as a Saddler in all the information I have and you have confirmed that he is also the father of David as well as Maria. This means that he fathered two children  before he married Mary Ann Marles in Gloucestershire.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 November 05 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I can't definitely say the William Richards who married in Llangunnor is the wrong one but it seems unlikely given the subsequent baptisms.

As a further complication I have a Carmarthenshire Marriages 1813-37 CD reference to a Benjamin Richard Talley marrying an Eleanor Williams from Conwyl Caeo (parish north of Talley).  I have not noted the date but will get back to you on that.  When I'm next in Carmarthen Archives I'll check the parish records

On your CD I assume you search for William Richard as well as Richards?

best wishes
Nigel
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 November 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I also have a William Richards of Llansawell who married Mary Griffiths in Llanybydder on 15.2.1799. and I believe Llanybydder is close to Talley.

I previously discounted him as I was looking for a Richard without the S. Also I was looking for a Farmer/Miller.

Regards

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 November 05 19:12 GMT (UK) »
This seems more likely.  Llanybyther is a parish north of Llansawel.  I'll check in Carmarthen for more details

Out of interest I have a reference from Llansawel parish records of the baptism of William, son of Richard John Richard, Llansawel, June 1769.  The latter possibly being Benjamin's grandfather.

Benjamin Richard married Eleanor Williams 17/02/1821 according to the CD

Nigel

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 November 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I have William Richard's death certificate which states that he was aged 73 when he died in 1847. If this age is correct the baptism of the son of Richard John Richard would be too early.

My Benjamin Richards is consistent in recording his birth year as 1807/1808. His death aged 77 in 1884 would make his birth year 1807.

Brian

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 November 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I'll check the Llanfynydd records for a baptism of a William Richard/s c1774.

The Benjamin marriage I gave you is to early to be your Benjamin, sorry had not done my sums

Offline BVic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 November 05 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I thought Benjamin was an early developer but perhaps a marriage at 13 was a bit too much.

I do appreciate your endeavours on my behalf. If I can help you in any way you must let me know.

Brian