Author Topic: Help to identify Mary Midson married to William Sturgeon 1789 Hessett  (Read 1713 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to identify Mary Midson married to William Sturgeon 1789 Hessett
« on: Monday 21 April 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anybody has suggestions for how I go about establishing the birth/parentage of my 4X great grandmother. I know the following:
She was married 13 April 1789 in Hessett to William Sturgeon born 1759 Hessett who died 1831 Hessett. The many on-line family trees have Mary's parentage being John Midson and Susannah. Their first 6 or so children were all born in Little Bentley (according to these sources) whilst the remaining 3 girls Mary 1770, Martha 1772 and Hannah 1774 were born to John and Susannah in Fakenham Magna.

I doubt the above even though the IGI gives the birth of the last 3 girls but not the previous 6.

Looking at the burial record for Hessett there are 2 possible deaths for a Mary Sturgeon. 9 Oct 1834 aet 75 or 4th Feb 1787 aet 76.This makes the birth date of Mary either 1759 or 1761 not the 1770 for the Fakenham Mary Midson. ( if indeed she is buried at Hessett)

Does anybody know if the marriage record for William and Mary give any indications as to her father or her parish. I guess she came from Hessett?

Are there any other Midson families in the area?

Any suggestions about how to break this brick wall would be very welcome.

Many thanks for thinking about this problem

Regards
Sue

Offline 48ers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help to identify Mary Midson married to William Sturgeon 1789 Hessett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Not my tree, but have a tree called Sturgeon others, while trying to connect families up.  I have Mary Midson, born 1761 • Fakenham Magna, SFK, England  collected from an old Mundia websie.

My notes:- uploaded by Dawn18463 (16964 people) viewed 02 Apr 2013

I would see if a Dawn has something on ancestry for contact.
Kay Sturgeon.
BRADNAM/BRADMAN - Withersfield SFK & CAM & LND; ELDER Andrew Anstruther Easter FIF SCT; HOY - Elmdon Essex; HOY - Australia;RYLE - Australia;STOREY - Rushbrooke SFK;STURGEON - Rushbrooke & Pakenham SFK;WOOLLARD - Withersfield SFK

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 16 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that advice. I checked on Ancestry and Dawn is indeed there but she gives no sources for her Mary Midson born 1761 Fakenham Magna!! So it's back to square one.

Your post was much appreciated, however.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 16 09:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
If you have a sub to Ancestry there is Mary Midson bapt. 12-9-1762 in Garboldisham, Norfolk (d/o James & Mary. This parish is on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.
You can see the actual image here;
 The shrunk url link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j5u/

A possibilty.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 16 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Alan. Am off to check that family now. Hadn't thought of Norfolk but as you say, it's reasonably close.

Thanks for the link to the image. Much appreciated.
Regards
Sue