Author Topic: EDWARDS & THOMAS in Llandanwg  (Read 5686 times)

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
EDWARDS & THOMAS in Llandanwg
« on: Monday 21 April 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

One of my sets of 2xgreat grandparents has Robert EDWARDS (who died aged 59 on 28 Apr 1881 at Tyrfar, Harlech) and his wife Laura, nee THOMAS (who died aged 87 on 26 Nov 1918 at 6 Tryfar Terrace, Harlech).

Robert EDWARDS was initially a Mariner & on his marriage certificate (he married on Laura on 30 Mar 1852 at the Parish Church, Llandanwg with his address as Harlech) it shows his father as Robert EDWARDS, Mariner.

Is there anyone who will be able to find:-
1) Possible Llandanwg baptism records for Robert Jnr which I'm guessing would be about 1821 -- which I also hope will show mother's first name
2) Any other Llandanwg baptism records for the period around 1821 where the parents are the same as for Robert Jnr
3) Possible Llandanwg marriage records for Robert Snr where unfortunately I can't be very specific about a possible date

Laura THOMAS had a twin sister Elizabeth THOMAS & an older sister Margaret (Vaughan) THOMAS. The 1841 Census shows Laura & Elizabeth (aged 9) & Margaret (aged 15) living at Pen-y-Cerig, Llandanwg with their father Robert THOMAS (a Farmer aged 45) and their mother Elizabeth (aged 40)
The 1851 Census shows just Laura & Elizabeth (aged 19) living again at Pen-y-Cerig, Llandanwg with their father Robert, a Farmer aged 56) and their mother Elizabeth (aged 49) while Margaret is shown as an unmarried Grocer aged 25 living Sole at Tyfar, Harlech, Llandanwg.

On Laura's 1852 marriage certificate, it shows her address as Pencerrig, Llandanwg, with her father as Robert THOMAS, a Farmer.

Margaret had two out-of-wedlock sons before marrying William EVANS in 1Q 1877 & her husband was the Informant on both Margaret's parents' death certificates.

The last record I have of Laura's twin sister Elizabeth is the 1851 Census so I guess she married before the 1861 Census was carried out.

The Census records for Robert THOMAS (who died aged 85 on 7 Jun 1879 at Red Lion, Harlech, Llandanwg - which is where he is shown as living in the 1861 & 1871 Census records) shows his birth place as Harlech or Llandanwg -- as it is for his wife Elizabeth (who died aged 76 on 18 Jan 1876 also at Red Lion Harlech, Llandanwg).

I know this has been a long lead-in, but is there anyone who will be able to find:-
1) Possible Llandanwg baptism records for Laura & Elizabeth which I'm guessing would be about 1832
2) Possible Llandanwg baptism records for Margaret which I'm guessing would be about 1826
3) Possible Llandanwg marriage records for Roberts THOMAS & Elizabeth (surname unknown) which I'm guessing would be about 1824
4) Any Llandanwg marriage records for Elizabeth THOMAS (where father is Robert THOMAS) between 1851 & 1861

Thanks & regards
Rob Davies (in just over 4 months, I'll reach my allotted span of three score & ten)
Born in Llangynhafal near Ruthin but now living in Fareham, Hampshire, England
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: EDWARDS & THOMAS in Llandanwg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage on 13th September 1820 in Llandanwg between Robert Edward and Elizabeth Williams. At least one is below full age, so might fit Elizabeth.

I can't find the other records.

David

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, this looks very promising.
Regards, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline emmag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello my family were the Williams family who also lived in Tryfer throughout the 1800's. I would also like to know about the baptism records, as my great great grandmother (born 1833) had two illegitimate children . Did you have any luck?
Kind regards
Emma

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Emma,
I know it's not much of a co-incidence, with the commonness of Welsh surnames, but my mother's maiden surname was WILLIAMS.
Elizabeth (daughter of Robert EDWARDS & his wife Laura, nee THOMAS) married Robert WILLIAMS (from Bontnewydd) and one of Elizabeth & Robert's sons is my maternal grandfather.

Unfortunately, no baptism information has been forthcoming and so I've been trying to see if I can find Census records for Elizabeth EDWARD(S), the wife of Robert Snr, where I started with the 1851 Llandanwg records & identified two possibilities:-

1) Widow, Pauper formerly Farmer's wife born in Llandwywe living at Tyrfar 7, Harlech with a son John. a Mariner aged 18 born in Llandanwg
However I cannot find either Elizabeth or John in the 1841 or any other Census records

2) Widow, Pauper formerly Mariner's wife aged 55 born in Llanfrothen living at Bethel 2, Harlech with unmarried daughter Margaret. a Stocking Cutter aged 17 born in Harlech.

I have also found this Elizabeth in:-
a. the 1841 Census (with surname as EDWARD), a Knitteress aged 45 living at Tanygraig, Llandawng with presumably three children Edward aged 11, John aged 10 & Margaret aged 6
b. the 1861 Census, a Widow aged 64 born in Llanfrothen living at Bethel 1, Harlech with unmarried son Edward, a Mariner aged 30 born in Llandanwg
Note:- Also in the 1861 Census there is a record for Margaret EDWARDS, an unmarried House Servant born in Llandanwg living at White Horse, Harlech with John JONES, a Publican

I cannot find either Elizabeth--  or any of her three children (Edward, John & Margaret) -- in the 1871 Census so I'm working on the basis that she died between the 1861 & 1871 Census. There is an entry in the E&W Death Index for Elizabeth EDWARDS age 78 registered in F(f)estiniog in 1Q 1871 & I'm waiting to receive a copy of this.

I was hoping that Elizabeth had a child relatively late in life (after July 1837) so that I could find from that child's birth certificate the mother's maiden surname but that hope has fallen on stony ground. I'm now hoping the Elizabeth's death certificate will give a lead - hopefully the Informant will be a relative &, just maybe, I can then work backwards.

I've also be trying to see if I can find a death entry for Robert Snr but to no avail.

Best of luck with your on-going researches & perhaps one of us will eventually come up with something that will help the other one.
Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline emmag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your swift reply. It can be very frustrating as it hinders further research. I am determined to find a way! Will let you know how I get on...

Kind regards

Emma

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 June 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again Emma,

In the post today was the copy of the 1Q 1871 Festiniog death certificate for Elizabeth Edward & it is for my 3xg gm. She died, aged 78, on 3 Mar 1871 at Harlech, Llandanwg, Widow of Robert Edwards, a Seaman, Merchant Service due to Decay of (I think it reads) Nature.

The reason I'm sure it's for my 3xg gm is that the Informant is Robert Edwards (no relationship shown) of Clogwyn Inn, Harlech, Llandanwg and her son Robert Edwards (my 2xg gf) is shown in the 1871 Wales Census as living at Clogwyn Inn, Harlech, Llandanwg.

So, although the ages don't fully align, it's looking rather likely that the 1841-1861 Census records which I found for Elizabeth Edwards, born in Llanfrothen (& shown in 1851 as formerly Mariner's wife) are for her.

Even if this turns out to be correct, it still leaves me a long way from proving that her maiden surname was Williams -- & just maybe linking our two family lines.

Best wishes, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline Maineyhunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm fairly certain I'm a decendant of Laura and Robert :)

Laura mother of Margret Edwards mother of Laura Morris mother of Sylvia mother of me :)

Margret moved to Liverpool if it's the same and instilled a love for Harlech in her female line calling her first born Robert who died in early childhood and her first daughter Laura  Myfanwy ;my mother called her first son Clifford Robert and the youngest female of the line ( my cousins daughter ) is called Laura too in memory of her nan :)

Did you happen to find the location of the clogwyn inn? Or a grave for Laura, I'd like to visit with flowers

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maineyhunter and thanks for adding your comment to this topic.

Very recently (last month!) that a second cousin of mine -- we both have Elizabeth WILLIAMS, nee EDWARDS (sister of 'your' Marg(a)ret EDWARDS) as a mutual great grandmother) -- gave me the URLs on the Gravestone Photographic Resource website for the Headstones (at St Tanwg's Church Cemetery, Harlech) for:-

1) Elizabeth 1803-1879 & Robert 1794-1879 THOMAS
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravephoto.php?grave=396733&requestee=46554&scrwidth=1300

2) Robert 1828-1887 & Laura 1831-1918 EDWARDS
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravephoto.php?grave=396730&requestee=46554&scrwidth=1300

and these have ben added to my public Rob Davies' Family Tree in Ancestry.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of the location of Clodwyn Inn.

For your direct relative Marg(a)ret EDWARD, my second great aunt, all I have for her are:-

A) !871 Wales Census aged 2 living at Clodwyn Inn with her parents -- also with her sister Elizabeth (my direct relative) aged 16
From this I've identified two possible birth registration records (both in the Festiniog Registration District) one in 1Q 1869 & the other in 2Q 1869. Have you purchased one or either & found when she was born?

B) 1881 Wales Census aged 12 living at 3 Tryfer Terrace, Harlech -- I've a first cousin once removed now aed 85 who is a grandson of my direct relative Elizabeth who recalls going as a child to Tryfer Terrace!

C) 1891 England Census aged 22, a Domestic Cook, living at 28 College Road, Great Crosby, Lancs

D) 1901 England Census, aged 30!, a General Domestic Servant, living at 14 Rutland Avenue, Toxteth Park, Liverpool

As I could not find her in the 1911 England or Wales Census, I assumed she had either married or died. There are so possible marriages in the Liverpool area, my only hope of finding out more was from a descendant , such as yourself.

However, as per my Family Tree, I'm showing she died , aged 38, as the 4Q 1908 Toxteth Park death registration record as it's a 'best fit' -- and no descendants.

If you're willing to share some more information on Marg(a)ret with me, either via this Topic or privately, this would be most appreciated.

Best wishes, Rob(ert) Davies
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============