Author Topic: Link: Scotlandsplaces – not just places – people too  (Read 5369 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: Scotlandsplaces – not just places – people too
« on: Monday 21 April 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
Just thought I’d give a thumbs up to www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk
Not only does it have maps and lots of information about places in Scotland, but the pages and pages of Historical Tax Rolls are also about people.
There are 13 different taxes (nothing changes!) covering from 1645 to 1831. A large proportion of them are from the end of the 1700s, which is useful if you have people in the 1841 Census and can’t find them before that.
While they don’t give you genealogical data, they do put those shadowy people into real situations, and help you to begin to draw a picture of their lives.
I have found several of my ancestors in them – a chink of light through my ‘brick walls’.

The ‘Farm Horse Tax’ of 1797-1798 is free to view –  you get to see the actual registers, and can download the images. It’s always exciting to see your ancestor in a contemporary original document!

The other rolls, like the Cart Tax from 1785 to 1798, (this is for those people who had a two wheeled cart – which of course many people did, especially if they worked on the land), is pay to view the original register, BUT you can view the transcriptions for free. When you have decided which Volume to look at, go to ‘Read the whole transcription for this volume’ instead of looking at a particular page. I found one of my brick walls there from 1785 until 1797, living and working in a small village in West Lothain, plus other members of the same family.

If you want to view images it’s £15 for three months sub.

Hours of happy browsing! 8)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Scotlandsplaces – not just places – people too
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Goldie, an excellent resource.

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
Agree with Skoosh - a great resource.

I found both of my 4xgrtgs on the horse tax lists when it was free to view the images a few years back and I dip in to it frequently  :)

You can also get free access if you can commit to transcribe for 2-3 hours a week.  Some of us think that this might be where they will upload the kirk sessions records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 16 09:54 BST (UK) »
Gosh! You never know what's going to surface on Rootschat!
I put this link to scotlandsplaces up over 2 years ago, and how lovely for you to find it and reply just now!

I think it's time I revisited it to see what else they might have on there - can't wait for the kirk records
Gadget.  :) I had a researcher look at some for me some time ago and it was VERY interesting.  :D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Aye great stuff!  just enter the surname in the place-name search-box, eejit proof!  I was looking for a family of millers & millers had to have a horse/cart!

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 12:10 GMT (UK) »
There's no subscription charges now, all FREE!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"