Author Topic: Hanks family of Alvechurch/Bromsgrove  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanks family of Alvechurch/Bromsgrove
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for years for the descendants of Elsie Ellen Bishop and her husband Felix Alfred Hanks, who married in the Bromsgrove registration district in 1921. Felix was the son of Edith and James Hanks (baker), and in 1936 his occupation was dairyman.
Elsie and Felix Hanks had children John (1922), Kenneth (1925), Margaret Catherine (1929), and Christine Elaine (1936). They are my father's cousins and I have a certain amount of information on them all which I will not write here as they may be still living. I know of Christine's marriage, and of at least one child (born 1946) of Margaret's first marriage. I believe John was in the Marines and served in WW2 in the Arctic Convoys. In particular I would be greatly interested to know what became of Christine, who could not be found even back in 1979 when she was due  a very small inheritance.
Isaacs in London and Bristol; Bishop in Somerset;
Cleave in Devon; Young, Lovell, Hutton & Fenner in Bristol; Lawes & Elliot in Durham and South Wales;
Mortifee/Mortify/Martifee/Martify plus variations, anywhere

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hanks family of Alvechurch/Bromsgrove
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebba,

Have you tried looking at family announcements in the local newspapers?  The B.M.S.G.H., Bromsgrove branch, have the Bromsgrove Messenger on-line for free.  They run from 1860 - 1937.  Free registration is all that is required.  http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/index.php

You'll need to work from exact dates as they are not digitally searchable.  Say the 3 weeks following a birth.

Could the family have emigrated to Canada, Australia or New Zealand? 

Regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Mike.
I had indeed thought of emigration, especially for Christine and her family. It seemed particularly odd that she couldn't be found in 1979, as I know the solicitors put adverts for her in the local papers when this inheritance business arose, and nobody came forward. (By the way, nothing to get excited about as it was a very small sum of money!). Perhaps by then all the family had moved away from the area.

As for the local paper you mention I'm afraid up to 1937 is too late, it's after that date they start to disappear. I don't think it's possible to search fairly recent emigration records, is it? Because Christine was married in the Bromsgrove reg district in 1957 so was still here then. I have a first marriage, a first child and a second marriage for Margaret and it seems quite possible she had more children, but the second married surname is far too common to be able to trace without more information.

I was hoping that this message might reach anyone with personal knowledge of the family, as I don't see how else to make any progress.
Kind regards,
Ebba
Cleave in Devon; Young, Lovell, Hutton & Fenner in Bristol; Lawes & Elliot in Durham and South Wales;

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As the time period is so recent, you could try http://www.thisiswherearetheynow.co.uk/ run by one of the local newspaper groups.

Although I prefer FreeBMD, the project is not yet finished, so choose one of the big data companies that have the GRO births marriages and deaths.  Remember registration district boundaries change, so you can apparently change districts without moving house.  Note to that births at this point, include the mother's maiden name.  This may restrict the number of births results in a search.

Another modern search is the telephone book, some of which are on-line.  Some companies also publish electoral role details.  This may help narrow down the exact date the family disappeared.  You could then try various country's telephone White pages and try again.  FindMyPast have passengers leaving the UK, until 1960.  Other companies may do better.

Hope that may help

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Mike. I will try these.

I did not know about the 'thisiswheretheyarenow' website so that's interesting. I have tried the FindMyPast emigration records but did not find them there. The 1960 year limit is quite frustrating! I have not yet got round to seeing if any other companies provide them for later years but that's a good idea. I am favouring the idea of emigration especially for Christine - probably means she will turn up in Bromsgrove after all.

Ebba

Offline Helen Hanks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm Helen Hanks and my father was Kenneth Hanks.  I'm not close to the rest of the family but I have an idea of where they live if you want to get in contact.

Regards

Helen

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen
Thanks so much for replying.
Since I posted that first message i have been contacted by Alison who told me about Christine's second marriage, which is why I couldn't find her. This was all I needed to know - I was curious as to why she couldn't be found.
Since you are on this forum I suppose you are interested in family history. If so (and you haven't got the information already), I have a family tree on Genes Reunited which includes your grandmother Elsie nee Bishop.
All the best
'Ebba'