Author Topic: City of LOndon Cemetery  (Read 958 times)

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
City of LOndon Cemetery
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can look up the burial records of the City of London cemetery?
I'm interested in two burials there one in 1865 and the other in 1874.
Also does anyone know if any gravestones remain?
Thanks in advance

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: City of LOndon Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ripper

You haven't updated your profile so we don't know where in the world you are and whether you can make a day trip to the London Metropolitan Archives where the registers are kept.

Some of the entries are available on Ancestry

There's information here

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/cemetery-and-crematorium/Pages/default.aspx

and an information leaflet here

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/Documents/visitor-information/05-cemetery-records.pdf

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn
Unfortunately I can't get to London easily.
I'll have a look at the links you have kindly sent me.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
I prepared this before Ripper's post saying it won't be easy to get there, but I'll post it anyway in the hope some remarks my be useful, if only to others,

Too early for Ripper, but for others reading this, registers from its opening in 1856 to 1861 are online here. See the link on that page for further explanation and the situation over later registers.

There is a map on Find A Grave, showing the division into numbered squares like a chessboard. A reasonable proportion of the graves are numbered so you can keep track of where you are.

It's fairly well kept so unlike some places you aren't fighting through shoulder high vegetation, but autumn and winter months when the vegetation has died down are best. A fair proportion of the older gravestones remain, but some graves are being reused. Find A Grave volunteers had a blitz on photographing the most recent tranche to go last year, so if you're unlucky on site, there may be a photograph (I haven't yet uploaded all of mine, so PM me if you don't find your rellie on FaG.)

It's a big place, so allow plenty of time for searching, including finding the way out before closing time! The "Exit ->" signs cease well before you can see the gate.

Finally, be careful not to mix up City of London Cemetery with the smaller Manor Park Cemetery, which is nearby.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ripper, I know your post is quite old, but you may be interested to know the cemetery records are now online. They are not searchable by name, so a death date will speed your search.

https://colc.past-view.com
Use the 'refine search' bar to put in the details.

I have found several family burials today, now I just need to get there from New Zealand to see if they have markers...

Good luck with your search.

Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk