Author Topic: Alexander Robertson - married to Mary Ann Scot - death around 1840; Alloa  (Read 4135 times)

Offline sinclmk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm looking for details on Alexander Robertson.  I know he married Mary Ann Scot 14 Dec 1827 in Alloa, but I'm trying to find details on his parents or siblings.   He was listed as a brewer on his daughters' marriage registration (Margaret Robertson, married to John Keir 7 Jun 1861 Edinburgh) and was deceased at the time of the marriage.   

His widow married Thomas Gold in 1840.     Alexander Robertson and Mary Ann Scot had four other children besides Margaret - Janet, Elizabeth, James and George - all born between 1830 and 1838.    Much of this detail has come from Family Search and Ancestry.com.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Robertson - married to Mary Ann Scot - death around 1840; Alloa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat :)

Just to clarify - Alexander Robertson had 4 children with Mary Ann Scot - Janet, Elizabeth, James and George.
Who was the mother of Margaret Robertson who married John Keir?
Looby :)

Offline sinclmk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry that I wasn't clear in my first post.   Alexander Robertson and Mary Ann Scot had a total of 5 children together.   Margaret was the oldest born about 1828 - 1830.   Margaret  died 6 Feb 1889.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry that was my fault - needing to polish my reading glasses ;D - Just noticed that you did write four other children. Doh!  Thankfully not all Rootschatters are as simple as me.
Anyway, I've looked at 1841 Census and notice that the family are all listed as Gold - the children having taken on the stepfather's name.
There are also 2 people called Robertson in Alloa on this Census who are Publicans - Isabella age 60 and Daniel age 40. I wonder if these people could be connected.

Offline sinclmk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 April 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Interesting your thought on 'publican'.   I had presumed, since there was such a thriving beer/ale industry in Alloa in the early 1800's, that the occupation of 'brewer' would be someone who actually worked in a factory.   I will look at Isabella and Daniel. 

My other references have been to William Robertson & Ann Jameson who had 6 children, one of whom was Alexander, born 1802, which is the right timeframe, but I have nothing more to assure me that it is the right Alexander.   There is another Alexander, born in 1785 to Margaret Dow and Alexander Robertson, making this Alexander slightly older, but possible.   Again, no clear link.   I've also tried Scotland's People for death registration, but only one came up and the death year is slightly to early and the burial is further afield in Muckhart.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 April 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could be that Alexander was brewing in a brewery. And of course Alloa was heavily involved with brewing at this period. I only mentioned the 2 publican Robertsons because I think in this period "spirit dealers/merchants" etc  could be brewing or distilling their own and then naturally that sometimes developed into something larger.
Johnnie Walker in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire owned a grocers shop in the 1820s and started distilling his own spirits to sell.

It's not going to be easy tying Alexander to his parents/siblings. I also saw the birth in 1802 which you refer to.
Do you know who Mary Ann Scot's parents were? Did they use their names of their children?

Offline sinclmk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 April 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Scot's parents were George Scot and Janet Kerr (some documents Carre) - they lived, married, died in the area of Tullibody:   marriage - 7 Dec 1800; George born 4 Sep 1771 and Janet around 1775.   Janet died 23 Sep 1862.    (documents sourced from Scotland's People and Ancestry.com - Crown Copyright on the statutory records).   

Janets parents - James Kerr & Margaret Eadie.
George's parents - Thomas & Jean