Author Topic: The Two Lions  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Kincaid444

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Two Lions
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Good evening Clare,

Nice you have reawakened this thread - I believe the ceiling is still there, the building, however, remains closed and must surely beginning to deteriorate inside in spite of the o'restoration' that took place when the New Squares was built . . . in fact as all the locals are aware practically all the new build stores remain unoccupied and must be costing the developers a fortune and the council a massive loss of council tax - I view the 2 Lions almost every day from the Animal Rescue charity shop . . .

Kincaid
The early bird gets the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Clare H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 June 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying so quickly. How sad that the Two Lions is empty. Our town centres have been killed off with high business tax and stupid parking costs.Colchester is our nearest big town and I never go.

Clare

Offline Kincaid444

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 June 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
Good morning Clare,

I have faint memories of Colchester - when I was a young soldier in the Royal Army Dental Corps I visited a friend there . . .  . Are you familiar with Penrith then, Clare?    You seem to know about the Two Lions . . .  I The moderator might accuse us of going off subject but in case you want to continue the subject my email is billco666@btinternet.com

I have only been here 14 years but find it an interesting town with a great deal of history because of its close association with the Scottish border.

Kincaid
The early bird gets the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese!