Author Topic: Occupation ?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline nate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation ?
« on: Friday 25 April 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,I have my John Nunn as a bootcloser living at 16,Bond Street,Ipswich,Suffolk ??? ???,he was born
abt 1807,to Joshua and Elizabeth Nunn.I have the census 1841 -1861 and his children etc.
                                       I was looking at his sons marriage certificate and it states his fathers
occupation as Gentleman,does this mean he is not a bootcloser? or both ? I have found a John
Nunn ,Gentleman on the directories for East Bergholt.
                                              I am trying to clarify I have the correct John Nunn as the father
of my William Nunn born 1843,Ipswich,Suffolk.I would appreciate it if someone could take a look
for me please,Thankyou.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 April 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is quite likely that the son 'made up' his fathers occupation when he married to impress.  Do you have Williams birth certificate or Johns marriage.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,thankyou for your reply.I dont have Williams birth certificate but I do have Johns Marriage in London.John married Eliza Hudson at St Leonards,Shoreditch in 1834.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
William Frederick Nunn & Eliza Emma Nunn were both christened in 1837 in Shoreditch, John Nunn's occupation was a Boot closer then.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,Thankyou,yes got those,can you find John in 1871?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
There was nothing to stop anyone putting "Gentleman" on a marriage certificate, however it was generally assumed that a Gentleman did not do manual work and needed to do no paid work to support himself and did not rely on handouts of any sort from others, he would live off his investments.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificates for any of William's siblings to find out what occupation they gave for father John?

What are the the dates of the directories with John Nunn gentleman in East Bergholt?  Is he a bootcloser on all the censuses 1841 - 1861? Do these overlap? Do you have John's death certificate?

Perhaps he came into some money? However I think Rosie's suggestion of a made-up occupation to impress is the most likely  ;)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline nate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan and Josie,I dont have marriage certs for Willliams siblings sorry,perhaps I will send for these next! John Nunn is on the directories for East Bergholt ,UK City and County Directories 1600s to 1900s,Nunn John ,Gentleman.

Offline nate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 April 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
John Nunn is a bootcloser on 1841,1851,and 1861,it does say bootcloser journeyman on 1851.I dont have Johns death certificate and no date yet but he was deceased at Williams Marriage