Author Topic: Durcan/Durkin  (Read 12909 times)

Offline Windy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Durcan/Durkin
« on: Friday 24 June 05 19:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for any trace of Thomas Durkin b<1820> who left Sligo from an unknown parish, (though we have had Achonry suggested). He is in York by 1851 and apparantly alone.

According to parish records of his marriage in 1853 (aged 32) his parents Thomas and Eleanor Durkin's residence was Co.Sligo, so they had stayed behind!

Thanks

Windy
Durcan/Durkin - Sligo to York, Sweeney (nee)Langhan Mayo to York. Mulhearn (spelling?)(nee Brogan) ?Ireland to York.
Bardy - weavers, North Yorkshire to York.
+ Ingleson, Carvel/Carvil

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Durcan/Durkin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one.

Have you had a look at all the usual general resources I tend to suggest?  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,83852.0.html

You could also look at these Sligo specific sites which may help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,127748.0.html

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Padhraicin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that Durcan and Durkins come from south Co. Sligo.  The name is very common in the parishes of Curry and Tubbercurry, both parishes in diocese of Achonry.   You might find information on parish records at either of these two parishes or at the National Library, Dublin where parish records are kept on microfiche.

Offline thequinns5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Windy,

My name is Tom Quinn. I have my GGGrand father Michael Durkin born in the 1820's. He was in York in 1850-51 and got married and had a child Ellen in 1853. He named his first son Thomas. I have all the infomation from there but never found where he was from. There many coninsidences but too many to overlook. Please reply if your have an interest. I will be glad to share anything I have. He ended up in Middlesbrough and immigrated to Pennsylvania in the United States in 1883.

This is my first day at Rootschat.

Tom

Offline Windy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Tom, Hi

First I will say something about spellings - early records show a spelling of Durcan however we believe spellings were formalised into Durkin when the primary school opened and people were taught how to write and of course spell. here I will use Durkin

We have:
Thomas Durkin born circa 1820 in Sligo to Thomas and Eleanor Durkin
Thomas Married Barbara Sweeney in York, England in 1853.
They had 3 children : Michael b1855, Ellen b 1857 and Thomas B1860 D aged 3m

Micheal married Julia Mulhearn in 1875 in York
They had  5 children: John b1879, Thomas b1881, Mary b1884, Micheal b1888, Patrick b 1890.

Any use?

Windy
Durcan/Durkin - Sligo to York, Sweeney (nee)Langhan Mayo to York. Mulhearn (spelling?)(nee Brogan) ?Ireland to York.

Offline thequinns5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Windy,

Thanks for replying. I have Michael in York having a daughter Ellen in 1853. His wifes name has been a problem. She was Ann McAveney, McQueeny, McFeeney and everything you can imagine. She could not read or write so whatever was put down was what it was. I have found michael and Maner (what evr that was) a couple pages from Thomas in the census. They had Ellen in 1853 and then went to Middlesbrough and has 10 more children and then went to the U S in 1883. I have all the info in England but nothing in Ireland. I have a certificate in 1850 with Michael and Ann McQueeny in York but I don't know if it is ligitimate. All I know is in 1851 Michael and Thomas lived very close to each other.

Tom

Offline thequinns5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Windy,

I remembered Barbara Durkin was a sponsor for the Baptism of Catherine Durkin on 29 Feb 1863 in Middlesbrough. I remember looking at Thomas and Barbara many years ago. I do not have a positive relationship. I like this.

Tom

Offline Windy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 12 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Tom Hi

I also have early notes of a Thomas aged 29 at No 12 and a Michael & Moner down the road. I did wonder if they were related as this was quite early (51) and there weren't many Durkins about. On my notes (which are short) I have both Michael and Thomas as coming from Sligo and Moner from Mayo.   I am not absolutely sure it is our Thomas, but the age does fit and I had corroborating evidence that our Thomas did come from Sligo.  I didn't follow this angle either.

I did, though, just, check who was witness at Thomas and Barbara's wedding in November 53 and it wasn't Michael. (If it had been I would have noticed before though). However, having a Barbara Durkin as witness to a baptism is interesting.

What might be useful is looking in the church records for Ellen's birth in 1853 and a marriage for Michael and Ellen - as they came from different counties they may have married in York. If they did the record will give their parents names and residence. However, Sligo and Mayo have a border so it is possible they met and married in Ireland.

Names are interesting - as families often favoured similar names and we both have Thomas, Michael and Ellen. (I have seen one other Durkin family here early, with totally different names for them and their children) Clutching at straws maybe but it has given me the idea to check the parentage of an Ellen who died aged 3. I was always puzzled by the fact that Thom & Barbara's son Michael got married in 75 but the first child we found was born 78/79. Ellen who died aged 3 was born 76, that needs checking.

In a couple of weeks it is the Easter break here ( probably everywhere, it being Easter!!!!) & I will be on annual leave so will do some searches then.

Windy

Offline thequinns5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Windy,

I do not have Ellen's birth certificate. I have tried a couple of times but when the certificate came it was the wrong one. I have a marriage certificate for Michael Durkin and Ann McQueeny in York in 1850 on Long Close Lane. That is just off Walmgate. I have had that name, McQueeny a few other times. Michael lists his father as Thomas. I tried to send them to you but it only accepts attachment up to 500 kb. I will have to get your e mail and I'll send what I have.

Tom