Author Topic: JOHN AXTON - PARENTS??  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN AXTON - PARENTS??
« on: Saturday 26 April 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone would have any idea where to look for John Axton's parents, he was born in London. Middlesex in 1803, baptished at St.Andrew's Holborn.City of London on 17.8.1803 but only states father John Axton & mother Sarah - not sure if his parents were John Axton & Sarah Medcraft or another Sarah - can anyone give me an idea where to look please.  Would appreciate any help.l

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN AXTON - PARENTS??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've looked at FamilySearch, Boyds & Pallots marriage indexes as well as the LMA marriages on Ancestry and John Axton to Sarah Medcraft in 1799  seems to be the only contender. The other possibility is that they married outside of London and moved into the area shortly after.

The witnesses don't help as they seem to be the parish professionals.

St James Clerkenwell and St Andrews Holborn are almost adjacent parishes so it's most likely the correct wedding.

Unfortunately, entries in the marriage register contain little in the way of genealogical information compared to those after 1837.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawnsh,
Many thanks for your time and efforts looking for John Axton's parents for me, I find it very hard trying to trace ancestors back in England & Ireland, only wish they had more information on certificates like they do here in Australia, the mother's maiden name on certs. would have been great but not so unfortunately - the search goes on but I sincerely thank you so much for your help.
Cheers,
Jillian

Offline david.axton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
See replacement posting.

Offline david.axton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
This is a refinement of the posting I made a few minutes ago - I could not modify the original but managed to delete the text.

I've been stuck with the same problem for long before you posted it. Have you (or anybody else) made any progress? The best potential clue that I can offer is that Catherine, the (second?) wife of James, the youngest known child of John and Sarah, was born in Hadham, Herts, and their third child, Thomas, a grandson of John, was baptised 1825 in Whetstone, Herts. I don't know where the first two children, Hannah and John, were born. Can anybody develop this information?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

You should be able to modify posts for 24 hours after posting, but this should only be to correct typos. Other edits should be clearly marked as additions etc.

If other amendments need making, please use the 'report to moderator' button and let us know.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 12:06 BST (UK) »

"....James, the youngest known child of John and Sarah..."
Can you say what you know about James. Where and when was he born. Details of first marriage.....details of second marriage.

How have you identified him to be a brother to John AXTON b. 1803, son of John AXTON and Sarah?

Offline david.axton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry, James was the ELDEST of five known children of John and Sarah.  I did not have the children listed in order and took the one at the bottom of the list.  John married Sarah Medcroft on 31st Dec 1798, at Clerkenwell St James and so, based upon a minimum marriage of 16, they would have been born before 1782.  If John and Sarah were the parents of James and adhered to convention, James would have been born between 1799 and 1802 at Bloomsbury or Holborn.  However, James may have been born as early as 1787, which may indicate that he was born of a previous wife of John, especially if there is a relatively long gap between James and the second sibling.  (a John AXTON = Mary BRYDGES, 8.8.1786, St.Pancras).

My interest is that a member of my family, also named John, disappeared from the Cheshire records after his baptism in ~1764 and I wondered if he could have been the same John Axton who married Sarah Medcroft.  The search continues.

Offline Shivvy1985

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 April 19 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Did you guys get any leads. It's just my grandparents and uncle are buried in Rothesay road cemetery ( central Luton cemetery) and I'm pretty sure there is a grave a few away from there's with the names Axton. I certainly remember the name Sarah Axton. I like to walk around there quite a bit and look at the headstones and pay my respects to the many ww1 & ww2 graves there. Anyway let me know if you're still actively looking and I'll send you both pictures Xx