Author Topic: John and Robert Bailey  (Read 7967 times)

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Robert Bailey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this is of use to you.  Maria Andrews was baptised on 10 Mar 1782 in Manningford Bruce. Her parents are a tad confusing as they had aliases.  Robert Andrews married Elizabeth Huntley on 11 Dec 1781 in Manningford Abbotts.  Thereafter they used both Andrews and Huntley as surnames.  Maria's siblings were Jane Huntley baptised on 07 Dec 1783 in Manningford Abbptts and Stephen Huntley baptised on 27 Nov 1785 in Manningford Abbotts. Jane is listed as Jane Andrews in the Bishops Transcripts.

Robert Huntley alias Andrews was buried in Manningford Abbotts on 25 Sep 1839 and his wife Elizabeth was buried in Abbotts on 28 Oct 1787.  She was listed as Elizabeth Huntley,wife of Robert.

Re- Thomas Bailey,  he was baptised in Pewsey on 10 Apr 1785.  His parents Stephen and Mary had already had a son called Thomas five years before who must have died.

Apologies if you already have this!

Offline wentworth13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 May 16 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I will update the information.  As you can see the Bailey name was spelt differently quite often. I have not looked at the Bailey's for quite a while. It is amazing how much you can find now. I do like the Wiltshire opc. I will send more of William's if you wish. Also if you look on the web for Isac Macklin you will find the family of Elizabeth.  She had quite a few children. You will also find Christopher Bailey son of Robert on it. He married one of his cousins. 
Great to hear from you ;) ;) ;)

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
My pleasure.  Pleased that you like the Wiltshire OPC site too. It's first rate and we're all volunteers.   I'm the online parish clerk for three Pewsey Vale villages and know the Manningfords well.  My 3 x great grandmother Anna Roberts was born there. I don't have any Manningford or Pewsey Baileys in my tree,although my 6 x great aunt,a farmer's daughter from Burbage,  married a Bailey from the Chute branch.

I have access to a fair amount of bmds for the Pewsey Vale area and,also,my husband's family's line in Downton.  Let me know if I can look up anything for you.

Offline Shillingstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 May 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your info wentworth13 and lulubird. I am a novice and have not yet explored the OPC. I am a Bailey direct descendant from John Bailey (bap. 8th April 1804...thanks to info wentworth13 gave me). I live in Chichester W Sussex so plan to explore the Manningfords soon.

John was the eldest child of Thomas Bailey & Maria Andrews. Their children were the generation that split up, some off to Australia and a few remaining in the UK. An interesting development.

I am now on the hunt for info on Stephen Bailey and Mary as they are my 5x Great Grandparents.

Regards,

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 May 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shillingstone,

Stephen Bailey married Mary Brabham 19-6-1795 in Pewsey By Licence.

Details of the licence read;
Stephen Bailey, labr, Pewsey to Mary Brabham, sp, Pewsey with Bondsman; John Oram, Collar Maker, Pewsey dated 18-6-1795

You could ask if they are both of Pewsey, why marry by licence? I don't know the answer.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline wentworth13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 May 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
HI Lulubird
Can you find the death dates for Thomas and Maria?.  I thought I had them.  I seem to remember that they were paupers. Not sure now where I saw that.
Also do you know what a Wiltshire Removal Order is?
Shillingstone you will be interested in the death dates also. You will also see that I have no info for Rosanna and Ann.Anne. I think Rosanna may have gone to America. But could not confirm it.
See what you are letting yourself in for.  One thing leads to another and you are off on another tangent. Makes life interesting. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 May 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The FamilySearch.org has a few Thomas Bailey deaths for Pewsey from 1851 - 1859 (there may be more but I didn't look past the first page;
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Athomas~%20%2Bsurname%3Abailey~%20%2Bdeath_place%3Awilts~%20%2Bdeath_year%3A1840-1880~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland
Sorry about the long address but have lost the "shrink link".
If you change the name to Maria there is a death for 1854 - a possibilty as the wife of Thomas

With regard to Removal Orders, have a look at this page;
http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/settlement-certificatesexaminations-and-removal-orders-parish-amp-poor-law/173/

Hope this helps.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 May 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The burials listings for the Manningfords and Pewsey post-1837 are not fully transcribed online as yet,to my knowledge.  They are held at the Wiltshire Archives in Chippenham and you would need to email them.  They are very helpful, for a fee.  As Alan very kindly said, it looks as if Maria Bailey died in the Pewsey registration district in 1854. If she were my direct great ancestor,I would order her death certificate from the General Records Office.  It would give you her place of death as well as date and cause and also whether she was the wife or widow of her husband. 

There are several possibilities for Thomas Bailey in the Pewsey reg. district.  I think that  the 1851 one was a chap in Enford, so can be written out.  The other two, for 1852 and 1859, are possibilities and Maria's death cert. should give you a pointer as to which is your chap.

Both Thomas and Maria seem to be elusive in a search of the 1841 census. There was a Thomas, aged 50 and a wheelwright, living with two other wheelwrights in Manningford Bruce in the 1841 census but no sign of Maria and it's a common name.  There are no Baileys of any spelling in Bohune, Abbots or Pewsey in 1841 (not even the workhouse!).  I think you may have found out that Thomas and Maria were paupers from the 1851 census when they were living in Bohune and he is listed as "pauper,former ag lab".  They were obviously "on the parish" by then and accepted as such by the Poor Law overseers,which may mean that they had been resident for the required period.  They would have been helped while living in their own home.  Alan's link to an explanation about entitlement is very good.  No parish wanted to be liable for needy poor who did not qualify according to the rules in Alan's article.  Even very sick people would be transported back to their previous parish of entitlement.

Hope this helps a little.  I'll get back to you if I find anything else relevant.

Linda

Offline wentworth13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 May 16 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info.  ;) ;)