Author Topic: Help tracing identity of illegitimate child (Little Dilwyn)  (Read 8896 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Help tracing identity of illegitimate child (Little Dilwyn)
« on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all! I've been picking my brains with a new mystery which I haven't been able to solve. Can anyone help?

I'm trying to find the identity of a child fathered during WWI by my dad's uncle. All the information I have stems from his war record, which I have just discovered, where it states that the mother claimed child support for his illegitimate child, and was successful in getting a magistrate to order the father to forfeit 2/6 per week for the child's support till it reached the age of 14.

The baby's father was William Ernest Baugh, who was born in 1895 in Little Dilwyn, Herefordshire. He was single when he joined the army after the outbreak of war in 1915. His war record (available on Ancestry.co.uk, and of which I have a copy if anyone needs to see it) shows that on 26 February 1917 Miss Edith Jane Brown gave birth to his illegitimate child in Little Dilwyn, but neither the sex nor the name of the baby are revealed.

I am not aware that William E. Baugh ever married Edith Brown, and therefore the child was never legitimised and may never have been recognised by the father as his own son, which makes me suspect the child never bore the surname Baugh at all. I have not found a Baugh being born in Weobley reg. district, which covers the Little Dilwyn area, on BMD, but I did find an Edwin C. J. Brown, (Brown being the surname both of the father and the mother - but may well mean that it was the mother's maiden name, father's name unknown) who could have been the baby I'm looking for.

If I can help it, I want to avoid ordering Edwin Brown's birth certificate without having a slight inkling that he is William E. Baugh's son, but I haven't been able to find anything on Edwin Brown (either a marriage or a death) after his birth 1917.

I have found the baby's mother Edith J. Brown married Thomas Chambers in 1920 and I think she later married someone called Bailey, but I haven't been able to see original documents to corroborate this - so it's all a bit sketchy for the moment. William E. Baugh married and had a son during WWII, almost 30 years after his first child was born in Little Dilwyn.

Can anyone shed any light on the baby's identity and whether it is Edwin C. J. Brown?

Thank you!!!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing identity of illegitimate child (Little Dilwyn)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked for later evidence of an Edwin C J Chambers, in case he took his stepfather's surname?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors from Dilwyn and it is under Weobley for registration
freebmd
mar qtr 1917
brown
weobley
0nly shows one ....the one you have posted ....looks extremely likely to me ...

I would agree with avm228 ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 April 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Trouble is, that even if you buy the birth certificate, it could have no info on it at all re the father, so it still wouldn't "prove" that this is the child mentioned in the court order.  :(

Maybe the best thing would be to see if there are any court records available that name the child?

Or try the local paper? 

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 April 14 18:12 BST (UK) »
If the birth certificate shows the birthdate as 26 Feb and mother as Edith Jane Brown then I think the fair inference would be that this was the child which was the subject of the court order.

He is the only child with mmn Brown registered in Weobley in the first half of 1917 so looks strongly probable, unless there was some irregularity with registration.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 April 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
If the birth certificate shows the birthdate as 26 Feb and mother as Edith Jane Brown then I think the fair inference would be that this was the child which was the subject of the court order.

Doh!  Silly me  :-[

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 April 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm pleased to see we all agree that Edwin C. J. Brown is the most likely candidate to have been William E. Baugh's illegitimate son.

I think only the birth certificate would prove this, so I'll consider taking that lead.

I haven't found anything on an Edwin C.J. Chambers or any other name which might ring a bell. I was hoping there may have been a baptism scan/transcription somewhere online but I haven't found one. Might have to wait till the Hereford GRO opens its doors to the public again...
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 April 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
If you do decide to purchase the cert,make sure you use the official GRO website,it will cost you just £9-25 and they post anywhere in the world for that price.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 April 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
I don't think Edith Jane later married a Bailey.

Edith Jane Brown's birth reg'd Sept.1897

Edith Jane Chambers born 22/8/1897 d.Sept.1983 Hereford.

The death entry sure sounds like it is her.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk