Author Topic: Patrick HEFFERNAN  (Read 18696 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick HEFFERNAN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
A marriage registered DUBBO in 1882 and indexed at NSW BDM  :) (index prepared by volunteers reading under natural light in the 1930s, reading longhand script from the summary documents sent through to NSW BDM in 1882)

Patrick KEENEHAN and Ada KEITH.   #3688.

I would not rush out and purchase the NSW BDM real deal cert.  If this were likely to be my family I would spend some pennies and seek out the official transcription of that 1882 record.   Likely it will not have been reconciled by NSW BDM, but it will have the details of the location and denomination and other info that can be followed up.

Here's a thread that may help with the likely blanks on a NSW BDM marriage cert from the 1880s.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:38 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1878 THE BOGAN (covers several police districts including Dubbo)

James KIETH (yes, the 'i' is before the 'e') of Barbigal, residence, Talbragar River, Dubbo PD
Terrence KEEF (yes, K not R, the roll is alpha by surname) residence Burrawang, Forbes PD

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:50 BST (UK) »

from post #4
21175/1896  birth SELMERS, LESLIE

I think this certificate would be very useful. With Ada d. 1958 age 82 , b. ~1872, she is 22yrs at birth of first recorded child. It would be good to see her age from this early source, and self-reported, also birthplace, and previous issue. If Ada is a few years older she might have earlier children, and already be married.

Or, although identified as a Selmes (from death notice of Samuel Charles),  she might not be born a Selmes or use that name.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:18 BST (UK) »
Ada's Birth:
NSW BDM Birth: 6031/1872 Ada SELNIS [sic]; Father- Samuel; Mother- Emily; Armidale

cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:21 BST (UK) »
Re Vespa RAFFAN nee Heffernan

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZM-PHQ  notice that the transcriber has transcribed the bride's given name as Vesper, and her place of birth as Norromine and her mother as Ada SALMES.

The marriage at Granville 10 Sept 1919.

In the first post you have suggested birthplaces for the children of Ada.
For Vesper it is from her marriage certificate, but where do the other birthplace suggestions come from?  Who are the witnesses on this certificate please?

May I add to the request for info from that marriage cert.... what occupation is given for Vesper and also for her late father, and for her mother? Was she listed as a spinster?     Also, who were the witnesses?  perhaps family members  :)   What denomination?   

RED POST .... well found cupoflife, it seems very likely  :) to be Ada's birth.    I have 1870 Electoral Roll, for that district  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1870 NEW ENGLAND
Charles SELMES residence of Hill Grove.

NSW ER 1878 NEW ENGLAND  (changed to amend year .... a JM typo  :-[ )
Charles SELMES residence of Armidale.

A sister for Ada .... Rosannah SELMES, registered 1874 at Armidale.  (#6614)

I wonder if Charles and Samuel would be related?  Or perhaps same person, Charles Samuel or Samuel Charles?    I am speculating, sorry  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
Lawrence Charles Heffernan [1903-1951] believed to have been born in Trangie, Narromine

New South Wales Electoral roll 1903

Division Robertson  Sub division Trangie
HEFFERNAN Ada  Trangie  Domestic duties
HEFFERNAN Michael  Trangie  Labourer
HEFFERNAN Patrick  Trangie  Engine driver
HEFFERNAN Thomas Trangie  Hotel Keeper

Division Ilawarra Sub Division Roberston
SELMES Harriet  Robertson  Domestic Duties  [?Samuel's wife]

Division Macquarie  Sub division Oberon
SELMES Charles  Oberon Baker
SELMES Emily  Oberon  Domestic duties

Division Werriwa Sub division Goulburn
SELMES Samuel Wayo Street, Goulburn Attendant 
SELMES Laura  Wayon Street, Goulburn  Domestic duties

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:46 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM online index .... ::) is a typical index, with the usual flaws due to mis-reads of original records usually created decades (or longer) before the index was prepared.   19thCentury entries are of course in longhand, ink bleeds, more script, thumbed corners, tears, and general wear and tear led to volunteers preparing the initial index in the 1930s.   That index remains the basis of the current online index.  :)

Samuel C and Emily SELEMS as parents 1887 birth of Ceci registered at Drake.  #35399

There's births Armidale, Bathurst, Drake, Lithgow, Narrabri, Tenterfield and Vegetable Creek for Samuel and Emily and variations on Selmes

Harold, registered Lithgow in 1898 may well have all his older siblings listed on it.  #13225.  The official transcription is the cheaper and quicker option, and has the same info as a real deal cert.

Cheers,  JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 02:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z2r/
Death of Mr Charles SELMES Snr in 1928.

Headstone for Charles and Harriet
http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=7866886

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk