Author Topic: Patrick HEFFERNAN  (Read 18600 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick HEFFERNAN
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Usually the father is named first as next of kin if he was around at the time.

WW1

HEFFERNAN Sidney Arthur : Service Number - 297 and 2487 : Place of Birth - Portland NSW : Place of Enlistment - Sydney NSW : Next of Kin - (Mother) HEFFERNAN Ada

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Probate Packets for the various Patrick HEFFERNAN listed at the NSW SRO’s Deceased Estates indexes?  http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online

There’s  quite a few, but perhaps of interest is a Patrick HEFFERNAN died 18 Dec 1912 with his real property as Murrumburrah.  Likely this would be the same chap as NSW BDM’s index shows as 72 years, death at Young, registered Young.  (#18925).  I would expect to find a copy of the death cert in any NSW Probate Packet, as it would be a requirement of the NSW Supreme Court to have proof of death before proceeding to prove the application for Probate.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:29 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1903 MACQUARIE,  polling at Wallerawang
James HEFFERNAN, of Wallerawang, railway fireman
Lucy HEFFERNAN, of Wallerawang, domestic duties

None with Selmes (or similar) surname, and NO Patrick.   However, it was NOT yet compulsory to enrol to vote. :D

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:33 BST (UK) »
A wildcard maybe, but.

A Patrick HEFFERNAN married an Ann M at Orange in 1882 and she passed away in 1886.  ???

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:37 BST (UK) »
 ;D

NSW ER 1903 ROBERTSON,  polling at Trangie

Ada HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, domestic duties
Michael HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, labourer
Patrick HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, engine-driver
Thomas HEFFERNAN, of Trangie, hotelkeeper

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
Sands 1903 Country Directory
T HEFFERNAN, Trangie Hotel, Trangie

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
NSW SRO Deceased Estate Index

Thomas HEFFERNAN, of Homebush, retired hotel keeper, DD 11 Oct 1931.

NSW BDM death index has him as aged 78 years, registered Burwood #19454.  The index does NOT have his parents given names displayed  :(

Cheers,  JM

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 00:44 BST (UK) »

Lawrence Charles Heffernan [1903-1951] believed to have been born in Trangie, Narromine
William Sidney Heffernan [1914 or 1916-1982] believed to have been born in Lithgow

Quiet a large gap between the last 2 kids. Maybe Patrick died between 1903 and 1914 and William isnt his kid.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:01 BST (UK) »
Well, here is one, but the cert. might be unlikely to tell you anymore than you know.

21175/1896
SELMERS, LESLIE
Father not named
Mother:ADA
Registered at DUBBO 

NSW Birth certs list the names of the older siblings.  However, as there is no father named on the index, it is likely there will not be older siblings (listed) on that cert.    BUT  :) It ought to give you details about Ada that will help confirm or eliminate her from the Heffernan search.   

In that era, the information on these certificates was actually given verbally.   The informant would stand at one side of the counter, likely the Court House, and the deputy registrar (likely the Sheriff or perhaps the Clerk of Petty Sessions) would ask the questions and record the info in their local register, a large leather bound book.   This book would of course face the Sheriff, and the counters in those (General Admin) offices were quite wide and high.   When all the info had been written down (long hand, long before typewriters were readily available and issued by NSW Govt) then the ledger would be swung around and the officer would say "Sign here" and the informant would sign or make their mark.    Spelling on these documents was as per the Deputy Registrar's best efforts, based on what he heard and his local knowledge.  Selmers is likely how Selmes was pronounced by the Sheriff's office.

Cheers,  JM