Author Topic: Help with Uniform Identification  (Read 2087 times)

Offline AndySul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Uniform Identification
« on: Monday 28 April 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
I’m researching three brothers who served in WW1

Maurice Sullivan - Wiltshire Regiment 27588 (grandfather - hence the research)
Joseph Sullivan - Kings Royals Rifles A-3237
Thomas Sullivan

From Maurice, prior to his own passing, we were informed verbally that Joseph and Thomas were both KIA during WW1

Service medals for Maurice and Joseph were passed along the family line, ending up with myself. These medals gave service numbers which in turn enabled me to research their military backgrounds, ie where available I've secured medal cards, military wills, service records and death details.

Where I'm struggling, and despite my best efforts, is without a service number to connect the third brother to any military WW1 service - which I'm keen to do for obvious reasons.

Recently I acquired a photograph of Thomas in uniform – I have my suspicions to what Regiment the uniform relates but this appears to go against where they were all born, which was Southwark, London

Can anyone 100% confirm which Regiment the uniform relates to?

Depending upon what the answer is to the uniform I’m likely to come back with further questions so please bear with me

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Uniform Identification
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Could be Royal Fusiliers but not 100%

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
I think it's the Royal Scots Fusiliers. looks like his collar badges are that of exploding grenades,and Im pretty sure he is wearing trews.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Yep i agree the trews are distinctive 
Badge looks like a fusilier but uniform looks like a Royal Scots one ??
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Agree with the others looks RSFus.
There's 2 MIC's. but just one KIA.
Pte. Thomas Sullivan 11th. R.S.Fus. no.11085.
Died 26/3/1918.
Went to France Dec. 1914 which indicates he was a regular soldier. As you can see from the photo so is your Thomas.
From the CWGC Thomas was with the 2nd. Batt. & residence at the time was Monmouth.
Could this be him.?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline AndySul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 April 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all those that posted, pounding the keys my side hitting Google / various search websites etc as you post.

Saw the only KIA Thomas Sullivan RSFus was 11085 and that the Soldiers died in the Great war database lists him as resident in Newport, Monmouth (CWGC offers no personalized info that I can see) I can't find any family history which draws him over to Newport - His parents, as did his brothers, resided in Southwark, London all their life and he's on the 1901 census as living with them - age putting him as being born around 1893.

However, he disappears from the family residence for the 1911 census, indicating he had moved out, to where is not known (photo on back states Thomas and finance so could have moved out to marry)- so potentially it could be Newport but for the life of me I can't see why he would have ended up over there. Furthermore, from what I can see the database says 11085 was born in Newport as well as resided there and that they enlisted in Glasgow, so unless they are applying poetic license whoever 11085 is, they are well travelled.

That all said, can’t rule out 11085 and he’s the best lead I have at the moment as we can now state Thomas is in a RSFus uniform – exactly how he got into it is something I guess I will have to try and figure out my end.

Likewise, I suppose a big question to consider is did he stay RSFus till his death – if he did then it is very likely he is 11085. If he shifted Corps, which I guess there is no way of knowing without a service record, I may never get to the bottom of this

Jim, you mentioned ‘Went to France Dec. 1914 (which I see is from his MIC) which indicates he was a regular soldier. As you can see from the photo so is your Thomas’ When you make reference to him being a regular solider by his photo, is this opposed to being conscripted / volunteering early post outbreak of war ??

Also… was thinking of trying the Western Front Association for 11085s pension records as if they exist they may be able to confirm one way or another if he’s the one I’m looking for – would you advise and can you think of anything else I could try

Also, Also…. Whilst I’m thinking about it – as mentioned, we have the medals for the other two brothers but not Thomas – Would I be right in thinking if single goes to parents, if married to spouse – which if correct may lend weight to them getting married, hence why his parents never passed them down the family line as the ‘spouse’ had them.

Many thanks to everyone whose replied and anyone else that assists me with this matter

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
He's a regular soldier as he has a dress uniform not issued to enlisted men 1914-18.
Also the photo was taken around 1910-12.
I've searched for his service docs. but alas not there from what I can see & are probably amongst the burnt documents.
Had he married his wife would be next of kin & receive pension. medals etc.
As a regular he could have been posted anywhere.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 April 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
Have you found him in military on 1911 census?
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline AndySul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 April 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
Jim, many thanks,

mmm45, good idea, trying now though I am sure ancestry.coms search engine is designed to stress me as much as possible, either bringing back a zillion hits or none at all

Update - can't find anything military which looks like him - though found a couple of possibles languishing in local prisons which I need to check out further  ;D