Author Topic: Lewis Charles Arlington  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Charles Arlington
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Ooh, nice! Interesting that he's "half-brother"... (or is that to explain away the different names?) "Dolores, Spain" I would take as fictional, personally.

Ah, found Charles sr in 1880 as "Afrastel" in San Jose.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M6PJ-GLR
widowed, daughter Louisa (aged 16), son Charles (aged 8)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z4d/
 - death in Santa Clara of Maria L. Aplustill, aged 43, Jan 9 1876 ("Louis C" would have been 15 or 16).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 May 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
The San Jose Evening News has a slightly different death announcement for Charles Applestill senior on May 6 1910:

Aplustill:  In Elcentro Cal., on May 5 1910, Charles Aplustill, a native of Alsace, aged 79 years.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 May 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm lost here...

I can see that Louis Charles Aplustill is the cousin of Anna Cushing (néé Kroffig) , but why should he be Lewis Charles Arlington? ( am I missing something here?  8))

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
There is no trace of "Louis/Lewis Charles Arlington" in California 1860/1870 census records.

There are, however, census records for the Louis Charles Aplustill b. 1860 California, whose father was Charles, and whose (half?)brother was Charles Martin Applestill/Aplustill (this man also recorded as "half-brother" on 1917 passport application of L.C. Arlington ).  "L.C. Aplustill" disappears some time after the 1870 census.

The letters from the family on that website confirm that your "L.C. Arlington", whose Chinese-born son was studying in the US in 1920:
1) had a cousin, "Anna Cushing", just the same as Louis Charles Aplustill did (the address makes it clear this must be the same woman who arrived in 1914 and was born Strasbourg).
2) had a brother, or at least someone in that role, referred to as "Uncle Charlie" in the letters, in whose family was a Katie, and a Herbert  - Charles Martin Applestill's wife was Katy/Katie and he had a son Herbert.

Therefore, one possible conclusion is that "Lewis Charles Arlington" was simply an alias of "Louis Charles Aplustill".  It would have been very simple at the time to change his name, for any number of reasons, without leaving much (any) of a paperwork trail.  Perhaps he had a falling out with father Charles after his mother's death, or ran off to sea as a lad and was trying to hide his real age.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose for the very clear explanation!! I was lost for a moment  ;)

Offline MasterMoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 16 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm the owner of Google site MiramarLB, Great Grand-daughter of L. C. Arlington, Granddaughter of Arthur TK Lin, daughter of Renee Liang (90).   We reside in California, USA.  I read your findings about my ancestors with great pleasure & surprise.   Recently I ran across a 2014 master thesis about Lewis Charles  Arlington by a Chinese student in Beijing Foreign Studies University.  I'm in the process of contacting the advisor & author in hope to learn more interesting things about Great Grandfather L.C days in China.  Stay tune!
-MasterMoo

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mastermoo, finally after two years  :)

Dauro...

Offline MasterMoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 August 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
Douro,

Will see what I can find about Catherine Stewart Arlington (néé Young).   As it happens, my paternal Great Grandfather (Po TingHai) & Grandfather (Cheng JinYi) were closely associated with LMS (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Jingyi).  Until then be well!

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 August 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
"4 July 1848 - marriage of Jean Joseph Kroffig to Sophie (mistake?) Amelie Aplustill.  Hard to read but shows that she was b. 3 Sep 1816, father  (?name) d. 27 August 1838, mother Marguerite Salome Tr????r d. 26 May 1832 (all events in Strasbourg()"

Jean Joseph KROFFIG, né le 15 janvier 1820 à Strasbourg, fils de + Jean KROFFIG, cocher, décédé à Strasbourg le 22 février 1824, et d'Anne Marie BECKER,

Sophie Amélie APLUSTILL (Salomé Amélie APLUSTILL in the margin as you noticed), née le 3 septembre 1816 à Strasbourg, fille de Jean APLUSTILL, serrurier, décédé le 27 août 1838 à Strasbourg, et de Marguerite Salomé TRENNER, décédée le 27 août 1838 à Strasbourg.

Jean APLUSTILL got married to Marguerite Salomé TRENNER in Strasbourg in 1815 (07/DEC/1815).

Jean APLUSTILL, 31 years old, garçon serrurier, born in Brünn (Moravia), son of the late Jean APLUSTILL, serrurier, and Elizabeth SCHOEN.

Marguerite Salomé TRENNER, born in Strasbourg 17 brumaire an II, daughter of Nicolas TRENNER, armurier, et de Madeleine DURR